Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never taken my own blood glucose or told Im at risk for diabetes but I wanted to know what my levels are. So I went out and got a glucose meter so I could know what my levels are for reference. I havent eaten for about 3 hours before the test. It said my reading is 71mg. Is that a normal level? Is it too low? Im making myself crazy reading stuff online talking about hypoglycemia.

Anyone know????

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
No, more likely it indicates that you haven't eaten in three hours.
One reading won't tell you much. You need to kind of keep track of your levels for at least a few days, before eating, an hour after eating, etc. to get a sense of what your patterns are. In terms of diabetes, levels that get too high are more concerning. This is not *terribly* low, just on the low end of normal and so an indicator to eat. It's still within the range of normal. I got shaky with a level in the 70s; not everybody does.

Eat normally and just check your glucose level for a few days. You'll quickly get a sense of what your usual ranges are.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd say it's nothing to worry about.

BUT you never look at just one number alone, maybe test when you get up in the morning (before eating anything), make sure your fasting number then is 90-100 (but even 80's or 110's aren't anything to freak over according to my very experienced mw's, one of whom has a diabetic dh). And/or take 2 hour post meal readings, should be 120'ish. IF they're consistently way lower than normal, then mention it to your provider.

I bet your numbers will be fine though. That one sounds MAYBE on the low side of normal, but okay. Most care providers will want 2 hour post meals, I think those are more reliable.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My guidelines say 80-105 are normal fasting levels. As long as you're not below 60 fasting, you're technically ok. Some people feel the effects of low blood sugar at slightly higher levels but they aren't going to treat you as hypoglycemic if you aren't consistently below 60, diabetic or not. AFA other limits- I was told no higher than 130 2hrs after eating; no higher than 105 fasting or before meals. I've had numbers under 80 and over 140 but with careful diet control, its not often over the limit. 77 is pretty average for me fasting though.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I ate a cliff bar (it's protein bar type thing) and test about an hour or so later-like an hour and 20 minutes and it my reading went up to 93. Does that sound ok...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Not in your dd club, but I have experience with GD and testing bgl (blood glucose levels). Your readings sound very good.

As other posters have mentioned fasting should be no higher than 100 (possibly 105 to 110) and 1 hour after a meal no higher than 140. Those were the limits set for my by my mw. However, I had gestational diabetes and was controlling it with diet. Your levels don't indcate GD and therefore may be slightly lower.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
To me, your numbers are low, but that's based on MY numbers with are pre-diabetic anyway.
No matter what I eat, I get up pretty high, but am always under 105 fasting.

You're doing great!

Jenn

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I took a reading when I woke up (fasting) and I got an 89. Thats a good reading-right....

I forgot to mention that when I got the 71 I had just gone on a long walk so maybe the exercise made it extra low.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
It sounds fine. I honestly wouldn't worry. Do this for four or five days and let us know what your patterns look like. But off these few numbers, there's nothing alarming. The advantage of doing this, too, is that you can skip the GTT. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
71 is not too low. The recommended fasting levels for diabetics during pregnancy are 60-90. These recommendations are because that is what non-diabetic women's normal readings are during pregnancy. Blood sugars are lower during pregnancy for a non-diabetic than when not pregnant.

Those numbers look great, I see zero reason for concern.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Really, you need to be doing tests a couple hours after meals and noting what you ate. If it was all carbs or what. Those will be the most telling numbers. Two hours post meal shouldn't be more than 120.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.