Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dd is 3. Quite often through the day as I say something (either with my back turned or from across the room) she asks me to repeat what I said.<br><br>
I'm not sure if this is just a phase where she is trying to learn to enunciate (sp) or maybe I am saying new words she isn't used to. I then worry that she could have something wrong with her hearing.<br><br>
I repeat what I said in the same voice, but looking at her, and she hears it fine. It could be just me not talking loud enough, but it happens so often and I know I can't be that quiet through the day! LOL.<br><br>
Is there any way I can determine if this is a hearing problem or just her learning, before taking her to a doc? We don't like taking the kids to docs unless there is something wrong, and of course I will if we suspect there is a problem with her hearing, but I wanted to hear from other moms first to see if their toddler went through this also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do people often ask her to repeat herself? This can happen with kids when they are still learning to speak clearly. And then sometimes they will pick up an imitative behavior of asking others to repeat themselves.<br><br>
It can also be more of an attention/daydreaming thing -- my 3yo often "doesn't hear" me because he's not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My son does this with 'huh'. We have gotten into the habit of repeating ourselves one time then replyin 'huh' after that and he knows the answers just wants to hear us repeat ourselves over and over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts