Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gradually losing weight since November and have now lost about 25 lbs. I am about 15 lbs. below my pre-pg weight, and I think I have about 10-15 to go to get to the weight that is right for my frame and body. I have been stuck at this point for a couple of weeks now, even though I have gone back to exercising after slacking off for a while.<br><br>
If it's a plateau, I can deal with that, but I am worried that I might be putting my nursing relationship with DD (almost 20 mos.) at risk. I WOH FT so she nurses at about 6 am, 5 pm, 11 pm, and however many times in the night that she needs to (usually once, sometimes more). I feel like I already don't have a lot of milk partly because I've always kind of felt that I had a lower supply than some, and partly because of our nursing schedule. I do still feel a letdown, though.<br><br>
Anyway, how would I know if this is a plateau or a nursing thing? And how do I make sure I don't jeopardize nursing? I usually eat about 1800 cals. a day, any less and I couldn't function. Can I exercise too hard? I do about 35 minutes on an elliptical machine at a pace that makes me breathe hard and sweat but doesn't totally kill me. I would definitely not try anything drastic to budge the scale, like reducing calories past 1500... I have just been trying to exercise more often instead of skipping days.<br><br>
Thanks for any help. I want to lose weight for my health, but I want to let DD decide when to wean as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wow. You sound exactly like me. I have been exercising almost every day for a few months and lost most of my weight pretty quickly, but can't get rid of that last 10 lbs. I have not lost a lb in 2 months. The only thing I could do at this point is to decrease calories (I eat healthy and about the same cal that you do) which would probably effect my milk supply, so I can't do that. I also have to work harder than the ave person to keep my supply up and always have. I have finally just accepted that I won't lose that last few lbs until I stop BF. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've been stuck between 175 and 180 for a year now. I can't get it to drop off. My doc said it is a plateau but I can't believe it is a year long plateau for me.<br><br>
I think mine is a struggle with bfing. I've only bfing for the last 3 years (and a month), 2 children, so I'm not sure if that is considered a "long" time or not.<br><br>
Basically I've resolved to keep doing what I"m doing and hope that when Bryce does wean that the weight will come off. It does make it kinda hard because I think all I have to do is stop bfing, but I've committed to that relationship with Bryce and I know that I will regret weaning him just for my weight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I posted a thread in this section because I was wondering why it is hard to lose weight while nursing my last 2, when the first 3 pregnancies weight melted off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have had no problems losing weight while bf'ing. My DD was born last year and since January i've lost 83lbs. My supply is great, and I've had plateaus along the way but only for 2-3 wks at most. My weight loss has remained overall consistant.<br><br>
Sometimes you need to shake things up. you could be in a workout rut (need to switch it up and shake your body up) or a food rut( try different things, at different times etc)<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts