Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS had a very stubborn diaper rash a couple of wks ago which we were able to finally clear up with Lotrimin. It didn't look like the pictures I've seen of yeast rash but nothing else helped and the Lotrimin cleared it up quickly so I think that must have been what it was.

About that same time, he got what looked like a scrape on the front top of his thigh near where his diaper cover closes. I thought that maybe the velcro scratched him or it was from the Snappi. Nothing has cleared it up and now it's red with little white topped blisters/pimples. Could this be yeast? I am thinking of trying the Lotrimin on it as nothing else has worked. I'd love to have input from more experienced Mamas though!

·
Registered
466 Posts
It does sound like a yeast infection. Two things that I found helpful...one is putting on plain yogurt with active culture (e.g. Nancy's) on the diaper area.

Secondly, try Jarrow Formula's Baby's Jarro-Dophilus (it's a powdered probiotic). Sprinkle it over his diaper area in a warm bath. These things have worked wonders!

What's nice about the Jarro-Dophilus is that it's in granular form, so you can even rub some on his gums to help his inside intestinal flora. You do have to keep the jar refrigerated. Got mine at Wild Oats for around $8?? HTH

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like yeast to me too.

My son had issues with yeast as a baby.
I bought a bottle of powdered probiotics, and made a paste with that and breastmilk and had him suck it off my finger. If that (and lots of nakey-butt time on a cloth diaper) didn't help, I made a paste with the probiotic and water, then spread it onto his bum and had him sit or lay on a cloth diaper until it started to dry, then washed it off... that worked quickly.

Finally, I washed my nipples with vinegar after every feeding, and took probiotics myself (you can stir it into food, I used yogurt usually), until it was 100% clear. Also, to be sure that I wasn't the one with the problem and passing it on to him, I tried to make sure that my own sugar intake was not excessive.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will treat it as yeast and hope that takes care of it. I love the suggestion of powdered probiotics! Never would have thought of it! It surprises me that we're even having this issue since he eats a cup of kefir every day. That should prevent this type of thing, right? Is there any chance it is contributing? We never had yeast before, and he's been eating kefir for maybe 6 wks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts