Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to change my 4 month old son's diaper. I opened the diaper and there was a reddish/purple mark at the tip with a pink line going down to the testicles. The pink line looks as though it may be a little diaper rash. I have no idea what is on the tip? It almost looks as though it could be a bruise. I touched it to see if it was painful for him and got no reaction. So, I assume he doesn't feel it. He also doesn't have a fever so I don't believe it's an infection. Anyone have any suggestions? We go to the doctor for his 4 month check-up tomorrow so I'll show the doc. But, if anyone has any ideas please share. I'm obviously a little concerned.<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Katherine

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It sounds like some bruising. Is that what it looks like? If that is it, it could be from him grabbing it and pulling on it. The foreskin is a very sensitive structure very much like the lips and will bruise or become inflamed very easily and quickly. However, it will also resolve just as quickly much as a fat lip will resolve quickly. I suspect there will be nothing left to show the doctor tomorrow. Please let us know.<br><br><br><br><br>
Frank

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Gee Katherine, I don't know what a dark spot could be caused by- but it's possible it is a bruise- maybe his penis got pinched in a carseat strap or when someone held him on their hip or something. An older kid who is playing on "ride on toys" would be more likely to get a little injury there- but I guess even little babies could get a pinch there.<br><br>
The line on the underside, it's called the raphe- and it's common for it to be raised a little bit, and I do remember that if my son was getting some diaper rash that area would show up brighter than the surrounding skin.<br><br>
It doesn't sound like a big deal, but since you are going to be at the Drs anyway- you might as well ask about it... just be sure - NO RETRACTION! Make this clear before you take your son's diaper off!<br><br>
Love Sarah

·
Registered
151 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Sarah</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">It doesn't sound like a big deal, but since you are going to be at the Drs anyway- you might as well ask about it... just be sure - NO RETRACTION! Make this clear before you take your son's diaper off!</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I totally agree, don't assume they know what they are doing. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Could it also be you're seeing (in addition to the raphe), the frenulum? That's a dark pink colored "line" that goes sorta the same direction. Just at thought if he's partially retractable. I know my eldest's foreskin would sometimes be retracted just from his diaper. Otherwise, I agree about the raphe showing up darker with a diaper rash. No need to take him in for that! In fact, it was at both my sons' 4-month checks that the doctor (differnet doctors in different states!) retracted them! It only takes a blink of an eye and I KNEW they might do that too...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My son is 6 months old and he sometimes gets something similar. It only appears after he's been wearing a diaper too long so I think it's just a combination of wetness and irratation. I usually just give him a bath or a little naked time and it goes away. Ds wears disposible diapers too and I've noticed some brands cause him irritation to his penis/bottom while others don't. When we used cloth diapers the first 2 months after he was born some detergents seemed to affect him as well so my ds might just be sensitive to these things...<br><br>
A friend suggested I use diaper cream at night to prevent this, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use on an intact foreskin and it doesn't happen that often. Any one else know?<br><br>
From what you describe I wouldn't worry. Did it go away by afternoon?<br><br>
-MQ

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses. It was indeed gone by his check-up (must have been a rash). On a side note I had to yell at the doc to not retract. I was surprised because she is a great doc otherwise. When will they learn????<br>
Katherine

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
So glad to hear it Katherine! This happens more often than you can imagine and it seems that moms of intact boys get panicky because of all of the old myths about infections, etc where moms of circ'ed boys don't. We've got a lot of educating to do yet but we're making progress.<br><br>
There is no doubt you have to be constantly on guard against retraction. We've got a lot of educating to do there too.<br><br><br><br>
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts