Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a chicken that I got from my farmer on Thursday. It was fresh then. I don't know when it was packed though..maybe it was the day before. Anyway, I pulled it out today to cook it and it smelled like sulfur. I rinsed the blood off and it smells better but still sulfur-y. Does this mean it's gone bad? I must add I'm pregnant, so I don't want to risk anything if the chicken is actually gone bad. We were going to smoke it, then cook it in the oven, but I will have to toss it if it's bad. That's 10 bucks down the drain!</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I would toss and complain to the farmer. That's gross and not a normal raw chicken smell...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>So I called the farmer and he told me it had been butchered a week before then frozen immediately, then it thawed on Thursday. He told me that the biggest difference between store bought chicken(even organic) is that they use bleach on it and he doesn't which might be why it smelled a bit. He said it should be fine but if I was worried about it to toss it and he'd get me a new one next week:)</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
so it hasn't been frozen since Thursday? that would be reason enough to toss it for me, after thawing chicken i try to use it within 24 hours. ymmv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts