Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a friend who had a cat who was pregnant. DD has been bugging me to get a kitten for a long time now. I told the friend that we would take one of her kittens only if there was an orange one. I told her orange because that's the only color of cat I haven't had and because I figured if there weren't any orange kittens then we would be home free LOL.

Well, the cat had her kittens last night and yep you guessed it! there is an orange one. By the time the kittens are old enough to leave their mama we will have a little baby of our own here. Do you guys think it's crazy to take on a kitten while taking care of a newborn? DD is old enough to have most of the responsibility, but a new little kitten needs a lot of attention too.

What would you do?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I personally wouldn't take on any new pet with a new baby in the house. I'd wait until at least until the new one was 6 months. I'm also a little biased because I also wouldn't get a cat ever. We are dog people! LOL!

Deb

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
LOL, I'd take it. We just got a kitten and she's just the eaisest little thing! After dogs, I'd take a kitten whenever, but I might not be the one to say just because ours is insanely easygoing and good...

A puppy, on the other hand, Nope, no way, no chance! LOL! Puppies (at least ours) seem to take tons and tons of work.

Oh, and we were totally dog people until we got this cat... we orgionally got her just for the mice but now we REALLY like her

Cara

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL DH and I are dog people too. But, DD has been wanting a kitten so bad and I did tell her that if there was an orange one we would take it. I just didn't realize it would be right when the baby was coming. For some reason I thought cats were pregnant much longer than 9 weeks!!!

I don't really want the kitten either, and neither does DH. I am worried about how dissappointed DD will be though. And maybe having a little "baby" of her own to take care of will help the transistion? I don't know!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Not in your ddc, but I just wanted to add a thought. We got a kitten about 6 months ago. There was a picture on Craigslist of him and his sister. I knew I wanted him, the grey one, but my dh reminded me to check out his personality. I'm so glad I did! His sister was adorable too, all fluffy and black, but a total nutjob. She didn't hold still for one second, and hardly let me pick her up before leaping out of my arms! The grey guy, otoh, melted into my arms with a loud purr. Even if the orange one is the cutest, make sure it isn't too fiesty too have around a new baby! Males, IME, especially after neutering, seem to be mellower around people.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourpawsmom
My big orange tabby Tigger is reading over my shoulder right now. He thinks every little girl should have an orange kitten!

Erin, due 9/10
LOL cute! I've always wanted an orange kitten too

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousli
Not in your ddc, but I just wanted to add a thought. We got a kitten about 6 months ago. There was a picture on Craigslist of him and his sister. I knew I wanted him, the grey one, but my dh reminded me to check out his personality. I'm so glad I did! His sister was adorable too, all fluffy and black, but a total nutjob. She didn't hold still for one second, and hardly let me pick her up before leaping out of my arms! The grey guy, otoh, melted into my arms with a loud purr. Even if the orange one is the cutest, make sure it isn't too fiesty too have around a new baby! Males, IME, especially after neutering, seem to be mellower around people.
I totally agree. My friend hadn't checked the gender yet, but I'm hoping that it will be a boy. I agree that male cats are much more mellow than females. My sister has a kitten that is W I L D. I do NOT want a kitten like that, whether we're having a baby or not. We want a cuddly cat, not one that bites your hand off the minute you try to touch it!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think that you shouldn't break promises to your children when it is in your power to keep them. I know this is an inconvenient time to get a new pet, but backing out on the promise to your DD would be a pretty cruel thing to do. And kittens are MUCH less work than puppies. Make sure that it doesn't come to you until it is weaned and litter box trained.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeosMama
I think that you shouldn't break promises to your children when it is in your power to keep them. I know this is an inconvenient time to get a new pet, but backing out on the promise to your DD would be a pretty cruel thing to do. And kittens are MUCH less work than puppies. Make sure that it doesn't come to you until it is weaned and litter box trained.
I agree! We have decided to take the kitten only because I did promise DD she could have one if there was an orange one. Like you said, kittens are so much easier than puppies! DH wants me to get a puppy and I put my foot down on that one until the baby is much older.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We got a kitten when ds1 was only a few months old, and it was a little stressful for a short period of time because we had to get our dogs used to the kitten, and I felt bad because the kitten always wanted to come cuddle with me when I was nursing ds and I was always shooing her away. But, overall, it was fine, and I'm sure it will be great for your dd!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Yay! I'm glad that you are getting the little kitten! It will be fun, and will help pass the time in case you go overdue, right?

Cara
Good lord I hope I don't go that overdue
: The kitten won't be ready to come to our home until the first week of October! I'd be 43 weeks by then!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
i've always wanted a lil orangie -- i have a calico/maincoon and a siamese/tabby ... granted kittens can be a small amount of a handful at times, i dont think it will be near as much work as if you were to get a puppy. i've always wanted a dog, but like big dogs and i know that i'd have to spend quite a bit of time training a puppy and making sure it knew i was the leader of the pack, so i just havent done it ... seems much more like having a kid around, cats are much more independant.
plus, if you promised ...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've wanted an orange cat for a long time too. We've had calicos, tortoise shell, and striped kitties, but never an orange one. That's why I told the friend that we would take one if it was orange. Although I kind of figured that there wouldn't be any orange cats
Oh well! I'm excited now. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet, but I'm hoping for a boy. We've already named the cat too. Our orange cat will be called "Bananas"
Don't kids come up with the cutest names? We also have a male dog named Lilac hehe.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think you should get the kitten, too. Cats are practically self sufficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousli
That's odd, we had the exact same situation when I was a young teen. We got a black sister and a grey brother cat. The sister was completely insane and the brother was as relaxed as a ragdoll.

~Nay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.