Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed my 19 mo who is cd-ered pees after he wakes, so I've been putting him on the potty in the morning and he goes. I also noticed that when drinks, he pees, so I started putting him on the potty then- started this 2 days ago. Tonight he asked for me to remove his dipe - it was dry and he walked over and sat on the small potty and peed.<br><br>
This seems way to early for pt-ing- my dd learned at 30 months. What is going on here? What should I be doing to keep this going?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I'm not sure that it's important what you call it....it's all just part of the potty learning spectrum, early or late. It sounds to me like you've got a good thing going! As long as you are respectful of your son's needs (i.e. you're not forcing him to do anything) and are just giving him opportunities to go when he usually does or when he says he needs to, you're on the right track.<br><br>
To keep it going, I would up the communication: talking about when he has a dry diaper or goes on his potty, talking about when his diaper is wet (to draw attention to it, like "oh, you peed in your diaper, let's get you a clean one, I bet that's more comfortable!"), talking about when it's time to try to go potty ("oh, you just got up from your nap, do you want to pee on your potty?"). Also just having the little potty around and visible should help, and talking about when other family members go potty. Start paying attention to any signals he might be making that he needs to go, like squirming or a particular expression on his face.<br><br>
This is all probably familiar to you from potty-training your older ds, but really EC isn't anything mysterious, it's just age-appropriate communication with your child about his/her elimination needs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is possible at this age for it to be early potty training. I agree with the above, that it doesn't matter what it is called, you are just communicating with them. My dd is 19 months, and her big sisters started her sitting on her potty for fun. Now, she makes it by herself with no one telling her to go about 90% of the time if we are home. My dd #2 did the same thing, but it was quite a while before she was consistent. It was more of a fun thing to do. I have also found that they tend to have periods of regression while potty-training. Just part of the process.<br><br>
LeAnn

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. With my older dd, there was no continuum- she was in dipes until one day I took them away and gave her underwear and a liitle potty and she was completely potty trained in 3 days - I just gave her the potty and she used it. I had never heard of EC with her.<br><br>
I tried EC on ds at various times since he was 11 months without success- he always preferred to pee/poop without his diaper on, but was so mobile I couldn't keep up with cleaning up after him. And he was so strong he was no way letting me hold him over the potty, and at that time refused to sit on it, so I let it go.<br><br>
I'll continue with the communication- I have no interest in forcing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts