Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
I'm not sure that it's important what you call it....it's all just part of the potty learning spectrum, early or late. It sounds to me like you've got a good thing going! As long as you are respectful of your son's needs (i.e. you're not forcing him to do anything) and are just giving him opportunities to go when he usually does or when he says he needs to, you're on the right track.

To keep it going, I would up the communication: talking about when he has a dry diaper or goes on his potty, talking about when his diaper is wet (to draw attention to it, like "oh, you peed in your diaper, let's get you a clean one, I bet that's more comfortable!"), talking about when it's time to try to go potty ("oh, you just got up from your nap, do you want to pee on your potty?"). Also just having the little potty around and visible should help, and talking about when other family members go potty. Start paying attention to any signals he might be making that he needs to go, like squirming or a particular expression on his face.

This is all probably familiar to you from potty-training your older ds, but really EC isn't anything mysterious, it's just age-appropriate communication with your child about his/her elimination needs.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.