Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak

ds has been getting roughness on his face for a few weeks, and this weekend it seemed to spread to other parts of his body. its like itty bitty bumps everywhere but it only gets red when he's hot or crying...

·
Registered
204 Posts
sounds like it to me... my older dd gets it, not on her face, and they are the tiniest bumps, in patches... I almost would call it rough skin, not bumps, they are so tiny. And the redness definitely gets worse when they get hot.

We had nakey time yesterday outside, playing in the dirt & pool
, and I couldn't believe how red her excema looked. But then when we went inside, they looked much better.

Your babe is very little still, but we use Vanicream on my dd's skin, on her excema, and it helps. I'm not sure when is a safe age to start using it. Maybe check with your ped. I've been lax at putting it on her lately, so it's been worse.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm so sorry mama... I don't have a lot of info for you, except that I've heard that food sensitivities sometimes manifest themselves in excema. I can't remember how old your ds is, is he eating any solids yet?? I've heard wheat, soy, and dairy can all cause excema. My dd's excema gets worse when she eats more dairy.

I do think though that sometimes it's just sensitive skin. In that case, a thicker/richer cream might do the trick. The Vanicream works wonders for my dd.

Maybe post on the health forum and see if they have any suggestions... or ask at your health food store??

Sorry I don't have more answers! Good luck, excema is no fun!!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by msiddiqi
so what do i need to do now?
the best part about eczema is that it's so different for each baby
:

max's flared up suddenly and spread quickly and got really bad and itchy and weepy. i started with an elimination diet and then have gone on to further restrict it twice. i was already doing most things 'right' as far as bathing (once a week at most), laundry detergent although recently switched to dr. bronner's, and washing sheets regularly etc. if you want more details on what we've tried and what's worked/not worked, click on my name to see my eczema blog.

we did find one thing (and only one thing) so far that has provided relief and that's a mysterious herbal lotion my mil sent from chile. it cleared up his skin almost overnight. the problem is i don't know what's in it. only that it's labeled "zarzaparilla"which in english is sarsaparilla (the vine, not the tree)

we have an appt with the ND today to get the results of his IgG and a few other blood tests. i don't think we've found all his triggers yet and i'm sure i must be avoiding foods i don't need to be.

i guess how much you decide to do about it depends on your baby's level of discomfort and how much you can tolerate. it can be really tough and really stinks.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthenia
There's an eczema tribe in Health and Healing where we share what works for us and our babes. At the very least you'll find some support.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=3292411

Thanks mamas!! I'm really wondering if this is an allergy to something in my breastmilk because I haven't completely cut out dairy but i don't eat much of it. Maybe once or twice a week. But this past weekend we had a bunch of parties to go to and I sorta binged on dairy stuff (plus a lot of nuts - which I had cut out previously because I suspected it was bothering ds) and that's when I noticed it all over his body. I'm going to try to be more strict about my diet and see what happens... already DS's skin looks better than it did a few days ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.