Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned to work this week. Right now I work from home a few days and go into the office a few days.<br><br>
Today I pumped 4 x. The last time I pumped at work was 4 pm. When I got home at about 5 pm, DD was asleep so I didn't wake her. Now it's 9pm and she's still asleep.<br><br>
She nursed on me a little bit **on one side only** to fall asleep but that's it.<br><br>
The other side has not been drained of milk for 5 hours!!<br><br>
Is this going to mess with my supply?<br><br>
Do I wake the baby? Do I pump even though I'm at home?<br><br>
I guess I thought I'd nurse all I could while I was home but I didn't expect the baby to be asleep!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I would definitely pump, to drain the breast not only to stimulate your supply but also to minimize the risk of a plugged duct.<br><br>
Do you sleep with her? She may nurse in her sleep if you offer.<br><br>
Good luck, it's early days, you will work out your patterns.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I've been back at work for almost a month now. I am only able to pump 1x each day (at noon). So my breasts go LONG stretches without being drained. However, ds only ever nurses on one side anyway, so it is not uncommon for one side to not be drained for 6 or 8 hours or even more. My supply still seems fine. (My one double pumping each day usually produces a little more than he eats when I'm gone so each week I've been adding about 12 oz to my freezer stash each week.)<br><br>
When you pump, are you getting more than she eats while you are gone? If so, I wouldn't worry about pumping more. The only time I have pumped at home is once or twice when dh had just given ds a bottle right before I walked in the door.<br><br>
Now that I've said all that, I will add that I've never had a problem with plugged ducts. The first time I do, I'll probably change my habits.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I get nowhere near enough for her. I can't pump the same amout that she eats while I'm gone. So, I'm always behind.<br><br>
I don't know what to do about this.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
What kind of pump are you using, and on what settings?<br><br>
It can be very hard to pump enough, even if your supply is fine, because it's hard to let down for the pump and the pump is nowhere near as good as baby.<br><br>
Are you pumping in the morning - nurse on one side, pump on the other? Are you pumping a couple of times on the weekend? This can help you get ahead of the curve.<br><br>
Are you eating lots of oatmeal, taking the More Milk Plus tincture? I still have the domperidone if you want to try it.<br><br>
If you are absolutely killing yourself pumping, remember that successful breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Get as much breastmilk as you can into your dd and if she needs a little extra formula to fill her up, so be it. It's OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts