Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi all - I know that no one can make this decision for me, but sometimes I feel clueless about parenting decisions like this! DH, DS (18 months), and I are planning a car trip Friday to visit a friend with a 4-year-old and 5-month-old. (She has invited us to stay at her house for the weekend.) However, she emailed me today a heads-up that her 4 year-old is sick and wanted to let me know before I expose DS.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Her 4-year-old has what she describes as a "rough, dry cough" and decreased appetite. He has a bit of a runny nose (she said she wiped his nose once today). No fever and is playing and acting normally otherwise. No need for doctor visit. She said he had this once before and the cough went away in about 10 days (today is day 2).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To me, this sounds like a cold, and I would never have though twice about it except that she warned me about it. Now I don't know what to do! My kid is in daycare full-time, so we have our share of colds, as you can imagine. He usually does fine, but last fall did get several ear infections. (We've been doing pretty good since December - he has had a few colds, but he got over them without an ear infection resulting.) So I am not concerned about him being overly susceptible to illness, but I don't want to give him something horrible either!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ok, I know that there are a lot of unknown variables here. Like, who knows how my son will react to this illness if he got it. Who knows if the 4-year-old would still be contagious by Friday? But, does this sound like something you might cancel a trip over? I just need some other perspectives here! Thank you!</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd do the trip as planned & barely think twice. I often take DS to playdates where the other child is even sicker than that, cold/fever/infection/etc. I just figure it helps build his immune system. Maybe it does work, he's almost never sick!<br><br>
But I know I am FAR more lenient about exposing DS to illness than most moms are. And, like I said, he almost never gets sick, and handles it well when he does -- if he were the type to catch every little bug, or get so sick he gets dehydrated or listless or something, I might be inclined to expose him to less!<br><br>
At the very least, I'd wait 'til Friday to decide, because it sounds like something that could go away in a day or two (or quickly get much worse & turn into fever etc., who knows!) You'll have more info to go by tomorrow night or Friday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts