Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just feel like I need to compare notes here. Dd is 18 months and she is really a happy and well-adjusted baby. Dh gives her her bath every evening, and she has always been interested in her genitals during bathtime. Recently, she has.....well....started to be more rough with her exploration. She will take one of her bath toys and rub/jam it against her and it really looks like it would hurt, but she's just laughing up a storm and chatting away. We don't want to send her the message that it's wrong to touch herself, but at the same time, we need to make sure she's not hurting herself. She's never left a mark or anything, and my gut tells me it's normal. I just need some feedback to see what the other little girls are doing. Dh also thinks it's "wierd" that she does this at all. I think it's normal. Right?<br><br>
Thanks in advance mamas!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
does she cry and get upset when she falls down or when she bumps into something and hurts herself? she'd probably cry or get upset if she was hurting herself with her bath toys. seems normal to me. our little man will pull on his unit and make my partner cringe in disbelief and sympathetic pain, but i continue to tell him that if he was hurting himself, he'd let us know. he lets us know when he hurts himself when he falls down or hits himself or whatever.<br><br>
~claudia

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also think it is normal. Actually dd at exactly this age started playing with her female parts during her baths. She explored it and tried to stretch it, it made me cringe but she looked OK. I never commented what she was doing except telling her what part of her body she was touching so she knows how to name it. She doesn't do it anymore, at least not that often.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My dd does this type of thing too. I just let it go, but every once in a while I will juast say " make sure to be gentle with your .... we don't want to hurt it" & she is fine with that.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I always tell her to "do nice" so she doesn;t get a boo boo. my one worry is that I havent cut her fingernails recently enough and she will get a scratch.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
sounds pretty normal - dd has now taken to exploring herself and her genitals in the same way that she does her nose or belly button - all of her seems to be a great source of amusement :LOL

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
when my dd was that age i posted almost the exact same thing. it is very normal and it does look uncomfortable but they won't hurt themselves. it can definatley be disconcerning at first though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree, totally normal. Self exploration is an important part of their development. ITA if she was hurting herself she wouldn't do it. Their private parts etc.. is just the same to them as their nose or foot. they need to be allowed to explore & to know its not a shameful body part.<br><br>
I have 3 kids, 2 girls & 1 boy. All 3 of mine did this around that age & the 2 lil ones still occasionally do. I just say be nice... So they usually will stop in a few seconds. DH is /was very uncomfotable if he was to see it. I told him nothing to worry about. You are not an evil person if you DC explores this way. It;s not like you are doing anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts