Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 5w 4d. Ever since about when my period was due I've been crampy. It's not the same as my normal period cramps, which are pretty bad but in a different way (pretty sure I have endometriosis). With these pregnancy cramps the pain comes on very suddenly and is very sharp and intense. If I'm standing I have to sit down. The acute phase lasts about 1-3 minutes, then it quiets down to bearable levels for 1-3 minutes, then it goes away. I get it intermittently during the day, sometimes just once, sometimes 5 or 6 times. I also sometimes get it in the middle of the night and it wakes me up from sleep. I've read that you can get sharp pains on either side of your uterus from the ligaments stretching, but this is located right where I think my uterus is, smack in the middle right above my pubic bone and below my belly button. I have not had any spotting.

Is this normal?? I've really been freaking myself out that it's tubal or something. And my first OB visit isn't until Feb 24. I've never been pregnant before really so I have no idea is this kind of pain is normal.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have had cramps and been crampy, but nothing like what you are describing. I would call your Dr. and describe your cramps to them and see what they say. If you have to sit down because of them, I would say they might not be normal.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think they're probably not normal for most people...it seems like it may be different for people with endometriosis though? That's what I'm hoping anyway. My normal period cramps have me sitting down too, and taking massive amounts of painkillers to boot.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have read that you can still get endo pain in the early weeks of pregnancy. I think you should probably still get checked out though if you are worried

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is the pain close to your abdominal wall or set back further? If you're 5 1/2 weeks with your first pregnancy, your uterus should still be pretty far back, like in this diagram.

I had some cramping early on, but nothing like what you're describing. Like a PP said, maybe the endometriosis is doing this? Couldn't hurt to ask your OB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.