Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My daughter is almost 13 months. She will not listen to a story. Ever. I can barely get her to look at a single page to see one picture. She has always been like this. I assumed she would grow out of it, but she hasn't. My other two children listened to books from the time they were itty bitty and just listened longer and longer the older they got. This one cried when I would try to read to her (of course, she cried most of the time...)when she was a small and still has absolutely no interest in books. Should I be concerned or do some kids just not have an interest until a bit older?  I do try to read to her most days, and she is rarely around a TV. Please advise!</p>

·
Registered
212 Posts
<p>My DD is almost 17 months and she has only recently begun to enjoy listening to stories. </p>

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
<p>soooooo totally normal.  Or within the range of normal.  I've had one of each as well.  DS loved being read to from the day he was born.  DD wouldn't sit still for a book until she was 18 months old, she would actively and obviously move away from you when being read to.  She's 4-1/2 now and while I wouldn't say she *loves* being read to, she sits for stories and is interested now.   I'd just keep reading to her and so long as by 2 she's getting more interested/sitting longer, and not throwing up any other flags you're concerned about, I wouldn't sweat it.</p>

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
<p>Another "totally normal". For some LO's a story is wonderful and they gladly sit. For others it's just something that gets in the way of their exploration.</p>

·
Registered
95 Posts
<p>our 22 month old just got into books about 2 months ago. now she can't get enough. i thought she was never going to get into them.</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>My first two didn't get into books until they were 2, DS is 19m and I still can not read to him, apparently he is following in the path of his sisters. </p>

·
Registered
791 Posts
<p>DS is almost 15 months and LOVES books - to grab them, sit on my lap... for about 2 seconds. And then grabs another book.</p>
<p>Maybe we have the wrong books. But the picture "touch" books he's looked at so many times he's shredded. So he loves to look. But he has no patience for listening to me read anything on the page, it's super fast hands turning the pages, and most books, 2-3 pages and he's on to the next book.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I only have the one kiddo to compare to, and he does love to grab and look.... but I'd still say totally normal. She's got too much other stuff to explore :)</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
<p>I can't remember when dd was able to sit for stories; maybe around 18 months?  I do remember that I wanted to read to her from the start, but once she was big enough to grab the book she hated me reading to her and NEVER sat for even 1 page.  Once she started getting into reading, though, there was no turning back!  She would sit for me to read stories all day (and did when I was on bedrest during my pregnancy).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ds is 14 months and totally not there yet with stories.  I really look forward to the day that I can read to both of them together without him throwing a fit about wanting to play with the book!</p>

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
<p>My daughter wouldn't let me actually read her a story for almost the first two years, but I was still able to introduce her to books through the pictures. Instead of reading the story, I would talk about the picture and keep it simple and interesting. "Look at this? What is this? Is that a bunny? It IS a bunny. A brown bunny. And what is the bunny doing? Hahaha! He's hiding an egg! What a pretty pink egg." Gradually, she would accept more and more description for a picture until we got to the point now where I can read her most picture storybooks so long as they are not too wordy. About one paragraph a page is all she can stand.</p>

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
<p>DS1 still thought books were for chewing on until he was over 2, so I wouldn't be concerned at all.  Now, he's obsessed with them, and when DH and I can't read to him he sits down, looks at the pictures and either recalls the story on his own, or makes up a new version. </p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>DD wouldn't look at books with me until she was 15 months, and she still won't sit through books with more than two words to a page at 18 months. kids have interest at different times. maybe she's a kinetic learner, rather than visual or audio? have you tried touch and feel books? just let her look through them on her own, and see if she likes that better than listening or looking at pictures. </p>

·
Registered
211 Posts
<p>Ditto. So totally normal. She still will "grow out of it". I suspect this is not the only way in which she is different from her siblings. :) My kiddo wouldn't listen to a story for real until he was over 2. I don't really remember, but now he's almost 4 and LOVES reading. He's obsessed with the Magic School Bus books and will listen to a whole chapter book of MSB. He likes to ask questions throughout the book, as well. He still doesn't really sit still, but he does listen to the story! :)</p>
<p>Just like everything else, keep offering them. She's likely around while you're reading to the older children, and if you want to read to her before bed, or something like that, just let her play while you read the book, if she'll let you. Don't push them, just keep them around and read them to her when you can, even if she doens't seem to be listening. And in a few years, you won't remember this stage!</p>

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
<p>Yeah, I think DS1 was ~15-18 months before he'd sit an listen to a story of any sort for any length of time. DS2 is nearly 16 months and still won't sit and listen to stories - unless he's super tired and trying to fall asleep :p</p>

·
Registered
166 Posts
<p>DD1 loved listening to books from maybe 7 months on; DD2 just flipped from "put that down and nurse me!" to absolute insistence on READ THIS NOW OR I'LL HAVE A TANTRUM.. right at 18 months. I was worried too -- and now I'm rolling my eyes at my own worry...</p>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts