Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD was exposed to her cousin the day before he exploded with chicken pox rash. His mother didn't know it was chicken pox till the next day even though we now think he must have had a bump or two a day before we saw them because he complained of a couple of bug bites on his chest.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DD is 18 months and hasn't had the vaccine. So I've been watching her closely. Yesterday was day 12 since she was exposed. I kept finding a few little bumps that looked like they had whitish tiny center but they would disappear overnight (around day 10) but I watched 3 on day 11 and ONE of them looked redder than the rest. Yesterday the one that was red was blistered when she woke up and lots bigger. Definitatly looks like chicken pox! BUT she hasn't gotten any more. Today (day 13) she has a few more of the spots that look like pinkish bites with a tiny white center. Wondering if she'll really break out in the next day? Is this normal ? Or does this mean she will only have a very mild case?<br>
She is still breastfeeding. I have no idea how long breastfeeding passive immunity lasts. Based on what my nephew experienced it's possible that the same thing happened to him where he only had a few bumps then got tons more on day 3. He didn't get a fever till like day 4 though. DD seems ok, no fever yet. She was very very fussy the day before she got the one bump..</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does this seem normal?<br><br>
 </p>

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
<p>There is a wide range of normal.  I'm only responding because something similar happened to my DD when she was 18-19 months.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At that point she was still  nursing heavily.  We were camping and she had a few bumps on her face--- we assumed mosquito bites.  Then, when we got home, she got a total of 13 bumps.  We took her to the doctor to confirm they were chicken pox and they were.  They never really scabbed, though, just disappeared after a little bit.  I'm positive they were chicken pox, but... she got them again (a full, big case) right when she turned 4.  DS got them at the same time (also nursing a ton) but a full case. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, could be chicken pox but IME, if they don't scab and act like normal, the child is not actually getting their own immunity.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
216 Posts
<p>We have had a similiar experiance 4 times now! First time DS was exposed he was still being nursed. Was exposed at daycare. As I knew what to look for and expect, I was hyper vigilant. He got spots, but they faded over night. Happened in the right time frame, looked like CP (my DD had it the year before) and he was cranky. Nothing materialized. Same time this was happening the other kids in the class broke out. 2 wks later, strange spots were back, no CP for sure though. 2 exposurers later with same reaction, still nothing. The last time, there is no way he didn't get a good enough exposure. I practically brushed his teeth with the other kids tooth brush, still nothing. My parents were insistant he already had it the very first time, so I titered him: no immunity. I just don't get it. People I talk to say it must have been a coincidence, or that I was seeing things because I was expecting them. Really odd though to happen 4x in the CP window.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts