Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds who is 4yrs old just started at a Montessori school. He's very much into "good" vs "bad"...hence, we play a lot of bad guy vs good guy type games.<br><br>
Well, since it's been a long weekend, I thought I would remind him that we have Montessori school tomorrow. I asked him if he was excited, and he said yes...But then he went on to say that the teachers said that only "good" boys get to go outside. (they have a wonderful outside with goats, chickens, orchard, playsets, etc)..And then I asked, are there "bad" boys? And he said yes...That the bad boys couldn't go outside because they were ruining all the toys...<br><br>
Is that normal for Montessori teachers to use this type of discipline? I don't even know if it's discipline as much as it is as a way to control behavior..So I stated, well, Montessori has rules you have to follow when you are there, and that it must be hard for some to follow them. Maybe I should have stated that it's a consequence if you don't follow the rules...I don't know....Not sure if I could also entirely trust what my ds 4 yr old said, but he's pretty good at times at articulating, but not always.<br><br>
They did state that they try to re-direct kids, and tell the kids the correct behavior..rather than using any other sort of time out...They also said that they remove kids from situations...<br><br>
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would ask for a conference with the directress!<br>
Talking about good boys and bad boys does not seem Montessori, but 4 year olds misinterpret language too, and you want this to stop.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It sound like a wonderful outdoor area, how often do the children get to go outdoors?<br>
Montessori meant for there to be a free flow from inside to outside. All the original Children's Houses had an adjacent patio area for outdoor work. She wrote about the children taking all kinds of work to do outside on tables and rugs, lots of gardening, outdoor naps and just being.<br>
Many schools find it hard to incorporate this aspect of her vision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts