Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS, 25 months, is normally as easy-going as kids go. But he seems to be a little obsessive lately. Part of me wonders if it's just normal toddler stuff, then the other part of me feels a teeny bit concerned.

Here are some examples:

DS loves cars! If we're taking a walk or a drive, he'll point to every single car he sees and ask, "That's called?" over and over again. He expects an answer every time and won't give up until he gets one.

If he gets upset over something, he will perseverate on it. For example, last night, he said he wanted to go to the library. DH & I replied that the library was closed right now, but it would be open in the morning. Despite the fact that DH & I tried the best we could to change the subject and get him involved in something else, he kept talking about the library being closed with a tremble in his voice for over an hour.

Is this a phase? Reason to be worried? Is there anything I can do to help him "go with the flow" a little better? My sanity thanks you!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup, totally normal!! I think it's fascinating how their little brains are now able to 'hold on' to an idea for longer and longer periods of time. They're not just like goldfish anymore, so easily forgetful that we can distract them from a disappointment just by jingling our keys lol... They're more aware of the world outside themselves and better able to maintain long-term thoughts and opinions about things.

As kids go through developmental leaps, it's normal for them to "obsess" on this new skill for a time. It's like they need to really practice it, to solidify it, before it becomes simply part of their normal modus operandi and just part of their general background and personality. When it's new, it's EVERYTHING to them.

You'll see the same thing with particular words and phrases. With DD recently it was "right back". She suddenly picked up on saying "right back", even lifting up her index finger while saying it, while popping out of the room to go do something quick and come back. And she would do that ALL THE TIME. But now she does it still, of course, but not ALL THE TIME anymore. Just when she really needs it, whereas before it was like she was making up opportunities for her to use it, in order to practice it.

Enjoy this phase, I think it gives us great insight into what's going on in their little brains!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, tankgirl, your response was so great, I got tears in my eyes (chalk it up to pregnancy hormones!).

It's amazing what a little change in perspective can do...

I've come to the conclusion that it's just useless for me to get frustrated with his trouble in letting ideas go...if I want him to learn how to go with the flow, I'm going to model going with the flow in how I deal with it.

Thanks, Mamas! I'm feeling lots of hormone-induced love for MDC right now!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Awww... shucks.
Glad I could help.

Quote:
if I want him to learn how to go with the flow, I'm going to model going with the flow in how I deal with it.
Brilliant insight!!! I think we all need that reminder once in awhile lol...

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Sounds normal to me too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.