Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 yr, 4 month dd and nearly 2 yo ds came home 7 weeks ago (international adoption). My dd has started some regression. About 3 weeks ago, she started speaking baby talk (I know her language, so I knew it was baby talk). At the same time, she started wetting the bed (she came home potty trained). No problem. We just keep her in a diaper at night. A few days ago, she had 2 accidents during the day, but none since. I just went witht he flow (no pun intended). Tonight, she lifted my shirt while we were getting to sleep (co-sleep) and started suckling my breast (She was in a foster care situation where she would have seen at least 2 other moms I know of nursing their children). SHe did this for quite a while. Now, she has had an obsession with my breast from day 1. Both she and ds stroke them for comfort, which I allow. Tonight was new.

Does anyone see a problem with me letting her go ahead and do this when she wants to?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
In one of the adoption preparation classes I attended, they talked about letting older adopted children regress and then progress at their pace through the developmental stages they may have missed - that is an essential emotional need for them. They said that they tend to progress through the stages quite rapidly if they are not interfered with.

It makes sense to me, but this is just what I have heard - I have no personal experience with this. I guess another thing to consider is, do you feel comfortable with it?

Best wishes,

L.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for responding L. I had read the same thing. I am comfortable enough with it and it does seem to be easing now.

Actually, in a strange way, I feel like I am getting to nurse my daughter -- which is nice.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I know *nothing* about this, but I agree with joesmom that it sounds lovely. When I read your post, my heart and my gut just went "yeah, she needs this right now". You are a wonderful mother - this little girl is so blessed to have you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.