Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have certain restrictions to my diet right now. no sugar, no grains, no yeast.

I'm really wanting some sort of pumpkin roll. Then I was thinking of making the "cream cheese" frosting out of yogurt cheese, vamilla and stevia.

My questionis more about the pumpkin roll. Ideas??

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
by grains, do you mean everything? like, rice, wheat, corn, oats, rye, etc etc etc? if so, maybe you could make a pumpkin fudge with tons of butter, stevia, pumpkin puree, and white baking chocolate (unsweetened), with some salt. you'd probably have to keep it refridgerated, but that might work. ?????

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma
by grains, do you mean everything? like, rice, wheat, corn, oats, rye, etc etc etc?
No grains. Period.

Quote:
if so, maybe you could make a pumpkin fudge with tons of butter, stevia, pumpkin puree, and white baking chocolate (unsweetened), with some salt.

No chcolate. No butter. But I replace that with cocount oil.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Would almond meal work in place of the flour? I've used that in muffins and quickbreads. Can you have eggs? They hold the almond meal together.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
How about a pumpkin custard? That's what I call it when I make pumpkin pie and no crust. And if you bake it in a long thin pan (1/2" deep) and cool it overnight in the refrigerator, you can get fairly solid pieces out.
Do you have a recipe or is it jsut pumpkin pie with no crust?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sweat! I actually haven't been around in quite a while. I'm just around sometimes

I'm doing great! I'm in week 6 of a 12 week yeast cleanse and I'm getting antsy to try some new recipes. things really couldn't be better health wise!

Have you been doing ok?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
You might want to try a google search for passover recipes. Orthodox Ashkenazi Jews use no grains during that time except for matzah meal and increasingly some don't even use that (it's just crunched up flatbread). They use potato starch, or do custardy things--a lot of inventive recipes out there!

You might find it hard to find stuff that doesn't require eggs, but you could substitute for those to an extent.

My mother is allergic to wheat and for years has made crust-less pumpkin pies for herself--she would make a regular pie for the rest of the family and bake some of the regular filling in a ramekin for herself. The ramekins are nice becasue then you get a nicer texture--don't have to bake it solid enough to cut or scoop out whole pieces.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I was going to suggest looking for passover recipes, too
Or celiac recipes. You should be able to find an egg based cake recipe. I don't know if there is a pumpkin one out there, but if you can't find one, try searching for a flourless chocolate cake recipe and subbing the pumpkin for the chocolate somehow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
How about a "Raw" Pumkin pie

Crust

2 cups of raw germinated almonds
1/2 cup dried, shredded raw coconut(optional)
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Put ingredients in a blender and grind until coarse. Place and press into an oiled 12-inch pie pan.

Filling

2 cups cubed ripe raw pumpkin (without seeds)
1 1/4 cup raw germinated almonds
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons raw honey (or stevia to taste)
1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon alchol-free (sugar-free) vanilla extract

Combine the filling ingredients in a blender (okay, let's face it...a Vitamixer), and puree until it's the consistency of a batter (at room temperature). Too thin, add a few more almonds and puree again. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours or preferably overnight. The pie will firm up.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had one of those pumpkin cravings today. Ended up having a Pumpkin spice Latte and Pumpkin Cheese cake. Now my head is swimming from the blood sugar rush.

How much stevia would you use in pumpkin pie? I know it takes a lot of sugar so do you use an equal amount of Stevia to replace it?

Thanks,
Kathi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.