Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>A while ago, while I was picking my DD up from preschool, I was glancing around watching for traffic before I pulled out of my parking space and happened to see into someone else's van while they were getting their kid buckled. I normally don't really pay attention, but this caught my eye. The kid was about five and in a booster, but it was one of those new vans that the middle bucket seats can be pivoted and face backwards. The seat was positioned in the rear facing position with the booster seat. I also noticed that the other bucket seat was rear facing with a five point harness carseat installed in the front facing manner. Is that safe? Also, would that extend some of the rear facing benefits to a child who was too big to ride rear facing?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This happened a pretty long time ago, its just been bugging me! Until I joined MDC I didn't know of someplace I could ask, but its always been in the back of my mind! LOL And we're going to have to purchase a new van in a year or two so this will be good info to have in the long run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!!</p>

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
<p>I thought that those swivelling seats weren't supposed to be used facing backwards, at all...never mind with a carseat installed.<br><br>
I don't have a van, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<br>

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p>There are no car seats or booster seats that allow installation on rfing (or side facing) seats.  Read any car seat manual and you will see that.  I think simply because they are not tested that way.</p>

·
Registered
372 Posts
<p>the new dodge caravan and chrysler town and country and VW routan (all the same) prohibit using a carseat while those seats are facing rear. It is in the manual that most people dont bother to use...*sigh*</p>

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
<p>No, not safe and not legal.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>One can only hope that the seats were turned that way to allow buckling and then were turned forward for driving. Maybe the kids like "riding" on the spinning car seats!</p>

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>Thanks for the info. I'm rather bummed out to hear that its not safe nor legal-mostly because the parents apparently didn't think of it. Though I haven't seen it since (I've not exactly been looking), so hopefully it was like Sapphire_Chan said-a one time thing!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts