Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that once you start introducing solids, that going three days without a bowel movement is constipation?

That's what my pedi nurse told me. That an exclusively breastfed baby can go 7 days without, but that once you start solids, it should only be 3 days.

Since all doctors/nurses seem to have different opinions on many things, I thought I'd come on here and ask to see what others have experienced or been told.

Thanks,
Christine

·
Registered
305 Posts
My DD goes about every 7-10 days. When it gets to be longer than that I use a suppository. I called my doc 14 days after no sign of a BM and he said to not worry. He said they don't do any tests or get concerned until 21 days. I'm not sure why 21 days exactly...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Both of my kids have had issues with constipation, my dd since she was around 9 months old which resulted in her loosing most of her colon function by the time she was 4 (at age 8 she is almost back to normal function). My almost 3yo ds has had a similar issues but with the history of my dd we addressed it much more aggressively and earlier.

I found that most doctors (naturopaths and mds) were too lenient on what they'd consider constipation (though I don't remember the 3 day rule you've been told). With my ds we decided he was constipated anytime his poop was hard to pass. When children experience pain with pooping that can get into a bad cycle of withholding to not experience that pain again which makes the poop larger & dryer and more painful to pass.

If my child was eating solids and pooping less frequently or straining/having a hard time with bowel movements, I would look carefully at what food s/he was eating and even go back to just bm for a while. Adding flax oil can help some kids as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I asked my ped this very question on Monday. She said that 5-6 days with solids is alright. The warning signs are hard, wide solid poops. Obvious signs of abnormal strain or difficultly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.