Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is a more appropriate forum on here to ask these questions, but, I was wondering if anybody could tell me why so many on here are so opposed to food dyes, plastics, etc. I'm sincerely not trying to be obtuse or snarky. I'm really wanting to start my family on eating as healthy as possible and nutrition and dyes, etc seem to be a big part of why people don't eat certain foods etc. and it seems to be tied into behavioral/mental issues? Can anybody give me good sites on this and what IS "allowed/permissable? We are on a VERY tight budget and recieve WIC so we are limited in that regards. Also, I'm not getting the whole wooden vs. plastic either. Can anybody help? thanks.

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, I do apologize and please move to a more approrpriate place.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Food dyes are very unnatural so I try to avoid them as much as possible. I try to eat real food that doesn't need them (I'm no purist and far from perfect!!). Generally a lot of the foods that have dyes in them also have a lot of other random crap in them too (you know all those multisyllabic ingredients that you can't identify as actual food, for ex), including lots of high fructose corn syrup. Many people are also sensitive to these ingredients so they can affect children's behavior. I know this is the case with my nephew; there are a couple particular dyes my sis have id that make a big difference in his behavior. When you are relying on WIC or food donations, I know it can be very difficult to avoid them totally, but you just do what you can.

Plastic can be harmful to health as well, depending on the type. I don't have any links at hand but if kids are gnawing on them the chemicals can leech out and the same can happen when fatty or ascidic foods are stored in plastic (or heated especially). Certain types of plastics are worse than others. I am sure you will get plenty of good answers with links from people on that.

There is a lot you can do to eat healthy even on a tight budget. Many healthy foods can be bought in bulk and cheaply (relatively)-legumes, brown rice, oatmeal, etc. A lot of foods can be homemade much cheaper than bought. You can often find good tips on this stuff in the Nutrition Forum too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Here's an article about BPA link

Like the pp said, it's best to go as natural as possible in terms of food. Dyes are just one unnatural ingredient that has harmful health effects. I don't have a link of why to avoid dyes per se, but like the pp said, natural food doesn't need dyes. (Hopefully someone has a more direct answer for you!) I think it's awesome that you're asking these questions! I certainly have learned a lot since becoming pregnant and having a baby. Congratulations on your #3!!!!
:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Off to the nutrition forum. I didn't think to post my q's there. Feeling a little silly now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.