Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm packing for a 2-week visit out of state. I'm trying to keep it down so I can carry all our luggage and the baby. Is this a fool's quest?

My mom has a carseat and we're taking the bus to the airport, so I'm not taking a carseat. I'm tryingto avoid taking the stroller because it's a large hard to collapse POS and they make you collapse it down to get on the buses here. I want to keep things down to diaper bag, 1 seabag, my wheel-bag carryon, and MAYBE another suitcase. Even better would be my backpack rather than the seabag.

I'm packing clothes for the 2 of us for a week, our cloth diaper stash (the items we actually use, anyway), and some gifts (all small items).
So am I kidding myself, or can I pare this down? How?

· Registered
4,298 Posts
First, I would use disposables for the trip. I took my 2.5yo to visit my parents for 10 days, and all we brought was the carseat (I checked it at the gate), my backpack which had clothes, wipes, toiletries, and her mini backpack full of books and toys and snacks for her. That's all. No checked luggage, no diaper bag, nothing. It was great.
If you're open to using disposables, buy a small package or borrow a couple from a friend before you leave. Then you can buy the amount you'll actually use when you get there.
As far as clothing goes, you're going to have access to a washer and dryer, right? So you should only bring the barest essentials, 3 or 4 outfits, and make sure it all goes together.
Can you mail the gifts ahead of time instead of packing them?

· Premium Member
11,611 Posts
I think it can be done. We did two weeks with two kids- one a toddler in cloth dipes- plus camping gear and food in a compact car. Haven't done it flying. We took ten cloth diapers and washed them when needed. I used lightweight ME OS covers and one wool for at night. Cloth washclothes for napkins, wipes- just what toys fit in the extra pocket of the suitcase and three books we re-read.

Have fun!

· Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not going to use disposable diapers. DD has worn 1 since she was 1 day old, and that was one day at daycare when the provider ran out of covers for her cloth--hasn't happened since because I send extra covers now.

Can't afford to mail the gifts.

I am taking some toys for DD in the carry-on. I got all the gifts and clothes and some diapers into the suitcase, so we probably won't need the seabag, I'll just pack my backpack to the nines. I WILL mail gifts back if DD gets too much or we get anything large (or get my mom to do it
).

We're taking the bus because I don't want to spend the money on SuperShuttle or a taxi.Ooh, I need to pack snacks for the trip!

· Registered
6,127 Posts
I travel all the time with my toddler, and I could never pull off what you're talking about. Are you sure you aren't going to need a stroller at any point in a two-week trip? And are you sure you can manage two suitcases, a diaper bag, and whatever else WHILE chasing your unrestrained little one through a busy airport? I can't manage it. I find it a lot easier to check whatever we need and to carry on the barest minimum onto the plane. It's harder than it looks.

· Registered
517 Posts
I would also be leery about trying to carry it all and keep control of my little oone with no stroller. At least bring a sling. Personally, I think the Pain in the butt of having to collapse the stroller on the bus might be worth it for the airport. What will you do if she falls asleep and is sleeping while you are checking in/ trying to find tickets, id, clear security, etc? YOu can't put any of your bags down and leave them unnatended to chase her if she escapes you...I took a trip with ds when he was the same age as your dd, and I found it was easiest to check most everything in, and then have ds, stroller, and plane bag (toys, books, etc) through the gate....if nothoing else, the stroller can hold your junk while you follow dd around the airport....

blessings,
anno

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I would definately have at least one sling. Probably a meitai for the airport, or when lugging most of the luggage around, and a ring sling for the rest of the time.

as far a cloth diapes, I would take 12 pockets( if that's what you have). Pockets are compact and simple and dry quickly. That's what I did for a week long trip and washed every day. It worked out great.

· Registered
505 Posts
I've taken my toddler by myself on the airplane. I would make the assumption that you will need to carry her in the airport and then make sure that all your other luggage is compatible with that... A stroller is not essential, but it can be nice (for carrying stuff or a sleeping baby). The last trip we didn't bring the stroller, I just put in him our Ergo. I brought a backpack for a carry-on, with diapers, change of clothes, food, and a few toys/books - luckily things like airplane cups, emergency pamphlets, magazines, etc. make great toys. We had one rolling suitcase and the carseat. (So, son in Ergo on front, backpack on back, rolling suitcase in one hand, car seat in the other. Phew.) If you don't need a car seat, you can bring 2 bags. Either way you should bring a sling or baby backpack. Check whatever you can, and carry as little as possible to the gate, because once you dd takes off, you'll have to follow her with everything you are carrying...

I agree with the PP who said take fewer clothes and plan to wash. Take as few diapers as you can reasonably take and plan to wash, etc.

Good luck! It can be done!

· Registered
1,463 Posts
We've done a few trips with our toddler and I agree about the stroller. We mainly sling at home but I knew it would be hard to carry luggage and ds so I brought my slings AND we got a cheapo umbrella stroller for $19 that folds up to nothing fast. The stroller definitely came in handy both for carrying luggage and extras when ds wanted to walk and for carrying him when he was tired and I was laden with luggage. You could easily get one at a consignment store for less than $10 or what about borrowing a friend's?

Safe travels

· Registered
778 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiangranola
I would also be leery about trying to carry it all and keep control of my little oone with no stroller.
Or you could get a toddler bungee (let's not call it a "leash" because that sounds very bad). They are stretchy elsastic and you velcro one end around your child's wrist and slip the loop on the other end around your own wrist. They are great for crowded places like airports.

--AmyB

· Registered
9,101 Posts
When are you leaving? If you want to bring the stroller but just can't manage on the bus, I could give you a ride. You'd have to bring the carseat, though. And get a ride back- I'm out of town from the 19th to the 30th.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
jodi...we live one mile from you and have taken you to the airport before. of course you should not take the bus. i can shift Isaiah to a regular seat and move my kids up a seat...like usual when we give you a ride somewhere or matt can take you in the civic....

that aside, i knew you'd say no to disposables; i usually do cloth when traveling, even by plane too. as someone else said, as long as you have a washer bring three outfits for luthien, dress her in double layers until you get on the plane and strip down, do the same for you. DON'T bring ANY toys. i PROMISE you will not need them. i have met your mom and she will have stuff for her and you WILL have extra stuff on the way back. luthien is happy playing with a water bottle or your keys or your cell phone...you will not need the toys; not even one. i wouldn't even worry about pajamas for her as kids will sleep in anything, and if you can wash often you won't need much for you either. my kids NEVER wear all of the clothes we pack. pack what you think you'll need and then take out two of the outfits, really. if you have a rolling suitcase it is much easier. i used to strap my other bags to the rolling one and sling a baby/toddler until i checked the big bag. obviously she won't walk.

you can do it, but i'll call you about that ride to the airport. michelle, you live MUCH farther away and have three kids too....

· Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, Tiffany, if you insist.

And thank you for loaning me the rolling suitcase. I think it's bigger than my non-rolling one.

Now I shall re-pack, sans toys, because you have a point about that, too. And I'll leave my rolling backpack here, with your bag I'll have plenty of room even factoring in gifts recieved for the return trip.

As for transporting DD, I didn't even mention it because I'll do what I do every day when we commute on the bus to daycare/school: carry her in the Kozy. That part was a no-brainer for me. We use the stroller MAYBE once a week, to walk to the park or mall or something. Now that she's walking some I'll be able to let her down to run around once we're checked in and waiting. And also she can stand and wait for me if I get pulled aside and "wanded".

And just for the record I'm perfectly capable of carrying a fully loaded seabag on my back, DD on my front, a backpack over one shoulder, diaper bag over the other, and my suitcase, at least short distances. Heck, I carry a fully loaded backpack plus a diaper bag and DD just to take her to daycare and back every day!

And the last time we were in the airport and thusly encumbered, they let us cut to the front of the line. Then DD puked on me, but that's another story and why I always put a change of outfit for both of us in the carry on in addition to the one in the diaper bag for her...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.