Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">In 1976, health experts believed that history gave them plenty of reasons to be afraid. It was thought, incorrectly, as it turns out, that the Spanish flu had jumped from birds to pigs before mutating into a massive killer of humans. Nevertheless, there is a disturbing similarity between 1976 and today: A worst-case scenario, just a prevailing theory, is used to justify a massive public reaction.</td>
</tr></table></div>
<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-03-21-bird-swine-flu_x.htm?csp=34" target="_blank">http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...u_x.htm?csp=34</a>

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Marc Siegel's knowledge of the swine flu is abysmal. I know the whole story, and if I know it, anyone can. First lie:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">It was later determined that the swine flu wasn't as virulent or as deadly as originally thought.</td>
</tr></table></div>
They knew right from the start that it wasn't a deadly virus. The military laboratory told Sencer it was an ordinary pig virus, and so did Dr J. Anthony Morris.<br><br>
But because Sencer shot his mouth off too fast and too hard, it was politically too difficult to take his feet out of his mouth, so he elected to keep them there, and use the US population as a guinea-pig population for pandemic vaccination.<br><br>
Lie number two:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">The public relations nightmare and lawsuits against the government helped to drive many drug companies away from making flu vaccine at all.</td>
</tr></table></div>
Because the vaccine companies involved got government indemnity from any possible vaccine damage, the lawsuits had no impact on any vaccine company.... and why blame the public relations nightmare and the lawsuits rather than the fact that the vaccine was a dud, and what's more, they knew it was a dud before the first dose was drawn into a syringe!<br><br>
Next detail derangement...
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Public health officials jumped to the conclusion that this was the first wave of flu, and that it would return with a vengeance in the fall. They feared millions of deaths.</td>
</tr></table></div>
Lets reword this.<br><br>
Public health officials had been just waiting for something to reinvigorate the flu vaccine campaign, which had suffered at the hands of studies that showed it didn't work, and was languishing in the land of nowhere.<br><br>
Just as officials now, see bird flu as a lever for a vaccine which is a dud 9the flu vaccine) officials then, saw the possibility of a pandemic as the means to revive a useless vaccine.<br><br>
So they didn't even wait for the results of the first tests. STRAIGHT AWAY, they told the president the world was about to collapse, and he fell into the line. Good little battery hen. THEN when the test results came back as "normal" it was "oh, well, never mind. lets turn it into a preparedness exercise."<br><br>
Such was their "belief" that any vaccine would be safe even if it was useless they were happy to use it has an "exercise".<br><br>
Then, when they were warned the vaccine wasn't safe, they wouldn't believe it. So Dr Morris went public on Phil Donahue show, on radio, in the papers, and the manufacturers got nervous and demanded indemnity from the government. Had he not gone public, they would have been hit in the back pocket, which some would say would have been the best result, as it would have ensured that no vaccine companies were left standing.<br><br>
This is a worry
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Sencer still maintained, in a CDC publication earlier this year, that "when lives are at stake, it is better to err on the side of overreaction than underreaction."</td>
</tr></table></div>
The problem is that Sencer knew there were never any lives at stake then, so to say this, is plain denial that he blew it.<br><br>
The rest of Siegel's message is simply money for words.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Marc Siegel's knowledge of the swine flu is abysmal.</td>
</tr></table></div>
Not as abysmal as mine.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
And the bird flu panic is just another way big pHARMa is trying to scare the public into being good little sheep and getting their flu shots.<br>
Every time anyone says bird flu I want to stick my fingers in my ears and go "La la la la I can't hear you!"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Can someone explain to me the new warnings to go ahead and stockpile water, nonperishables, medicines, etc, in preparation for bird flu? I mean, they talked about this on the news last night (I didn't pay much attention), and this morning a friend of mine called from the grocery store where she was buying supplies! What? We're now treating this as a major catastrophe? Scare tactics are something, aren't they?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts