• Not at all

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 8.1%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Mine is, but my now 7 year old was only sorta day trained at 3 1/2 and not at all night trained. My now 5 year old was completely day trained very, very young (20 months-ish?) but not night trained until around 3.5. My now 3 year old day and night trained simultaneously at 27 months.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
My 3.5 yr old (he will be 4 the last day of Feb) uses the toilet consistently during the day but still needs a diaper at night. Every once in a while he poops or pees in his pants but it's not very often now. But, 6 months ago was a different story. He basically regressed to never pooping in the toilet and peeing was hit or miss.

Kids are all so different. My DD was 24 months when she was completely out of diapers, day and night. My boys seem to take a bit longer to not only grasp the concep but to consistently use the toilet. I think my 5.5 yr old son was a little over 4 when he stopped peeing at night, and even now he sometimes doesn't get up in time to make it to the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I voted partially, day only, but he's been known to wake up dry most mornings and and after naps. Our main hurdle is getting him to understand the difference between diapers and undies, because he almost always wets them as soon as he gets them on. So I guess my answer is closer to "partially, naked only".

This all came about just a few weeks ago though, so we're still working on it obviously. He already knew what the potty was, but didn't really know exactly what it was for. So since he goes naked most of the time anyway (by choice), I started rushing him to the potty if it was obvious that he need to poop or he started peeing on the floor.
Within 3 days, he actually ASKED me to go to the potty. I wasn't expecting that at ALL and was expecting to be washing diapers for at least another year or so (DS is non-verbal and can't walk without a gait trainer). Its still a challenge though, because I still have to ask/remind him a lot because he doesn't pay much attention if he's really into playing with something.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
My DS will be 4 at the end of Jan. He was 100% day trained about a week or 2 after his 3rd birthday. He night trained shortly after. We bought 1 pack of Pull Ups, he used those overnight for the length of them (30 in a pack I think? So maybe a month?) and had stopped wetting overnight before they were gone...I put him in them till the end of the pack though.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
At 3 1/2 DD1 was mostly day trained, but not trained at all at night. (She started using a potty regularly right around her third birthday.)

She still had a few accidents a week at that age mostly from not wanting to stop playing in time to get to the toilet. She still at 4 uses a stepstool and a potty ring on the toilet seat. At 3 1/2, she would only use public toilets with MAJOR protest. She's still not dry at night.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My 3 year old has been out of diapers during the day for almost a year. She still wears a diaper at night, and is wet close to half of the time. She wore a diaper during nap time until she gave up naps recently- she sleeps deeply and pees in her sleep often.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wouldn't say that a 3 year old (or older) who wears a diaper only to bed is "partially" potty trained - I think they are potty trained. Wearing a diaper at night is something that, unfortunately, you can't train and just happens when they are ready, unlike teaching a little one to pee on the potty while they are awake. KWIM?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My 3 year and four months old always poops in the potty, but only pees there sometimes. He is definitely not trained at night and wakes with a full pull-up every morning. My almost 6 year old was trained day and night very easily somewhere between 3 and 3 1/2. They are very different in many ways.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
All of my kids were potty trained by that age. I moved younger with each child, in fact. Bobbie was about 2.5 before she was potty trained, Linda was a month or two past 2, and Esther was a month or two before 2. Night training was never an issue with any of them. They hardly ever go pee during the night, haven't since they were little babies. I don't know why.

Switching to real panties sped up the process considerably. I am convinced the only reason it took Bobbie so long to get it was because we relied on Pull-Ups for a long time. It took us the better part of a year to train her. Neither Linda nor Esther took that long; of course each of them also had the example of a big sister or two to help.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Switching to real panties sped up the process considerably.
I just read 'Diaper Free Before 3' (took the library *way* too long to get that in
) & she suggests dumping diapers/pull-ups. I tried underwear on ds2 once, but he freaked out & immediately took them off. I've got to do something, though, it's driving me nuts that he's not even slightly trained. He was going on the potty at bedtime every night about a year ago, but then he just refused to do it again one day & we've been stuck in diaperland ever since. We've been telling him that after Christmas, he's going to start wearing underwear & there won't be anymore diapers. Hopefully it'll work!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
LOL, I only did pull ups overnight because my grandma bought me the pack (I think as a HINT) and because we were still cosleeping at that time and he decided he was a big boy so NO diapers for him, but I wasn't waking up in a puddle if he had an accident.

He's only had an accident a half dozen times in the year he's been potty trained. Many of those were because he was sick.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I voted "other" because at 3 he was not at all but at 3.5 he was totally.

It happened over three summer days when he was 3 years and 3 months and he spent those three days entirely naked--that's what did the trick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
WHAT A TIMELY POST!!!!!!

That is really encouraging to me, Murihiku.

My son just turned 3 and a half today (i just realized that as I am writing this).

And he's still not potty trained. at all.

For a long time he would not try the underwear, except on top of his diaper. But a couple days ago my husband told me not to buy anymore diapers. And so we've been telling him that when the diapers are gone he will have to wear the underwear and use the potty.

He is a child who is used to certain things and does not like to try new things. He has a favorite shirt and if that shirt is there (actually now I have 2 of the same shirt for him) he will not choose anything else. However if it is in the laundry, then he will pick the alternative. So we realized that as long as the diapers are there, he will not go without them. But when they are gone, he will realize he has to switch.

Today the diapers ran out (except for a few I hid for outing, overnight...just in case, etc.). It took him at least a half an hour with nothing but a shirt, until he finally put on the underwear. He cried for a few minutes, but since then he seems happy about it.

He has wet his underwear about five times (has not attempted to get to the potty once) but after he gets cleaned up he asks for the underwear and pants (not diaper as he always used to)

He doesn't mind sitting on the potty (big or small), he just doesn't do any eliminating on it when he's there.

I am hoping he doesn't stay content wetting himself and tomorrow starts to try to get it in the potty. i am hoping this will be like an "intensive course" and over three days he gets it

God willing

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't know how true it is, but I have read that it is a bit harder to potty train past three, because then they're in a somewhat stubborn stage developmentally. (I gather when it does happen, though, it often happens quickly.)

I think switching to underwear once diapers are gone is a good idea. We did that with one kid; I don't remember which one. Linda would ask for panties; that's why we started potty training her. She wanted to wear panties, so we made it clear that for her to do so, she had to pee in the potty.

We mostly used the traditional method of putting them on the potty every so often. Hourly, if not more frequently. At home they were naked (easy in Hawaii, where the whole house was tiled!). I always chose a potty that a) did not make noise and b) the child could empty herself. We'd help them empty it early on, but it became their job very quickly. The only one we varied the potty thing at all with was Esther. Something happened--I am not sure what--to make her decide she was scared of the potty we originally bought her, so I took her to Wal-Mart one night and let her pick out her own potty. She got a Winnie-the-Pooh toilet that had a little handle on it that made a flushing noise.
Darn thing drove me nuts, but she loved it and things moved along a lot more quickly after that.

I can say from experience that different things work for different kids. Linda wanted to go on the big potty almost from the beginning, so we got a seat adapter. She's the one I also used to pay randomly for going pee. I'd just dig out a coin from my pocket or purse & hand it to her. (As a sidenote, according to my Psych prof, this variable interval schedule of reinforcement is supposedly the best for long-term success.) Esther started out afraid of the big potty, so she would only go in her baby potty, but she moved up fairly quickly. Even now, she insists that when she's on a big potty I hold onto her, and if she needs to poo, she'll put my hands against her tummy. (I've also had to call Robert a time or two and get him to tell her to go potty.
)

Certain things stayed the same for each child. We'd take 'em potty before we left the house, when we got where we were going, before we left where we were going, & any time they said they needed to go while we were there, whether they wound up peeing or not. Also, and I don't know why this worked, we told each of them to "Go squeeze."

Anyway, the last two paragraphs mean this: If you've done it before, you can do it again. Think about what worked best for you when you were training your DS1, & try it with DS2 if it doesn't conflict with his personality. And don't be afraid to bribe.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My ds is 3.5 and has been using the potty for about 11 months. He basically trained himself in one day, nothing to do with me, LOL. BUT, I wanted to ad that he still wears diapers at night, and I do not consider this "partial" potty trained. He uses the toilet 100% of the time indepently during the day. i would not expect a 3yr old child to be dry at night yet. One has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My son was potty trained when he was 3 years and 10 months old. I'd worked on it for about a year and a half by then. In retrospect, I pushed too hard, too soon, when he wasn't ready. He had occasional accidents until he was about 5 1/2 and was not dry all night every night until he was just over 8.

My little girl was potty trained when she was 2 years and 11 months old. She was ready- she took 5 days. She had about three accidents since then (she's 8 now) and was nighttime dry by the time she was 3 1/2.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.