Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anything related to the Asperger's? There is a little boy we know that was just diagnosed this summer and his is on something called Focadin(sp?). It is suggested that we try this for DD(8yo and Asperger's). i'm not sure what it is even for and if it will help. I am just curious what other's experiences are.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
my ds is on focalin. nakking now will come back later to elaborate.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
What does Focalin do?<br><br>
My son isn't on any meds at this time. I do wish there was something that I could give him which could help him, even a little. The ODD and ADHD are the hardest parts to deal with on a daily basis. If we could get those under control, even just a little bit, life with Nate would be so much easier.

·
Registered
322 Posts
meds have been an issue for us for a variety of reasons and we have alot of history with that. Currently yes, my children are taking meds. One specifically for seizures and the other for neccessity and hopefully prevent seizures.<br><br>
When my son was 5-ish we put him on ADHD meds becasue we were told if something wasn't done he wouldn't be able to attend a regular class. He has a high IQ and that scared us. We tried the next 3-4 years trying a variety of meds all of which caused more harm than good.<br><br>
Finally 2 years ago we went completely med free and changed his diet to a completely sugar free organic diet. I have a link to some articles on why this works for autistics if you like. We also added loads of supplements and he did do WAY better. We also cut way back on his stress, put him in a special class etc.<br><br>
Now he is older and entering puberty and at the onset of puberty often behaviors get more challenging for ASD kids. Plus he is now being stressed more as we are including him more and having higher expectations. We went to a natural psychiatrist and tried a number of supplements but his behaviors are such that he really needed help taking the edge off just to function. As such he is now on a tiny dose of Abilify (becasue risperadol made him manic) and a tiny dose of trileptal.<br><br>
The trileptal works as a mood stabilizer and is also a seizure med. My older dd has seizures and my youngest has had a couple in the past. Due to Mike's ASD and family history he is at a REALLY high risk for developing seizures during puberty so this seemed a good option.<br><br>
Hindsight 20/20 I would have never put DS on meds at 5-8.5. I would have started with diet, supplements, exercise, sensory, and behavioral strategies first (like we are with the youngest). Then as he got older and we had tried everything else first then I would consider really tiny doses like we are doing now.<br><br>
BTW, often ASD kids do better with really small doses.<br><br>
Oh, and my oldest dd is only on meds because of her seizures but that med is trileptal which has done WONDERS for her PMS megamoodiness.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Focalin - (forgot) my understanding is that it is basically ritalin where they took out one of the salts (?) that caused some of the unwanted side effects. So it is ritalin with less side effects?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts