Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm wondering how other families work storage of materials and where to do book work. We've tried lots of things and nothing seems to be right. Our house, on the first floor, has one large room, a kitchen, a small room, the master suite, and a laundry room. At first we had the large room as the living room/dining room with toys, the small room as the schoolroom with a table, and materials between a bookshelf and the walk in pantry. Then we had the small room as a playroom and did our work at the dining room table.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now we have the small room as the dining room, the big room as the living room/playroom, and I'm at a loss for where to do our sit down work since we do it during nap time and our talking it too loud while the babies are napping in the master bedroom on the other side of the wall.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm thinking I might have the kids it at the table in the playroom but pulling the table out for them (it's against the wall now and works well there) would take up all the open play space. I would just move it when needed but it's too heavy for that. I'm not sure if it's even a good idea to try and have the kids do work in the play area, would they be too distracted? Our play area is almost all waldorf type toys so the soft colors and wood might not be too distracting. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also have an unused bedroom upstairs but the toddler would get into everything up there if we needed to do work while he was up, if we're downstairs he can play while we work. </p>

·
Registered
663 Posts
<p>We have a dedicated area for schooling.  We live in a 2 bedroom house currently (gave the girls the master bedroom) and don't have a playroom.  The school area is actually part of my and dh's bedroom, and I blogged about it if you want to look.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://livinggraceacademy.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-school-year-real-schooling-area.html" target="_blank">http://livinggraceacademy.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-school-year-real-schooling-area.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>But as far as your situation, I'd try using the playroom for a schooling area, or a nearby room.  Or maybe (if you are open to this idea), since you have an unused bedroom upstairs what if you turned the master suite downstairs into a schooling area?  Put a video monitor up where the littles nap at with the reciever down in the school area so you can keep an eye and ear on them better, and then you don't have to worry about the littles being awakened by schoolwork being done and not as many worries about them waking and getting into stuff or getting hurt.  But I can't say much really, as we live in a single-story home. (and before we had the dedicated schooling area we have now, we did our lessons in the living/dining room while my littlest girl napped in my bedroom or the girls' bedroom)</p>

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
<p>i'll post later about how we do it now -- not that is is working perfect, but i am intrested in all the thoughts i can gather -- we are hoping to move SOON and so i hvae an oppetrunity to look at rentals with "in mind" what might work better -- i have a mini-wish list going ....</p>

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
<p>since your main concern is seated work, perhaps buy TV trays??  they are portable & can be set up easily (and put away just as easily).  we do have a "school room" but it's main purpose is for organization. i have [ix somewhere if interested.  it's actually only half of a room & the other half serves as a "home" to my husband's music stuff.  it isn't the prettiest, but i love it & i love the simplicity of just shutting the door!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>our actual seatwork is not done in here though. my daughter prefers to do her work on the kitchen island. my son prefers to do his work on the couch with a TV tray. in spring, we use the side porch.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>anyway. TV tray? just a thought.</p>

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
<p> i have a post about it:</p>
<p><a href="http://barefootedfamily.blogspot.com/2010/10/making-school-fit-into-your-house.html" target="_blank">http://barefootedfamily.blogspot.com/2010/10/making-school-fit-into-your-house.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>other materials that aren't being used at the moment or i want to save only for 'school' get put into 3 large rubber tubs and stored under the stairs. 2 for materials and 1 for art supplies.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts