Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7yo has a bunch of play food that my Mom has bought over the last few yrs. He loves it & now his younger brother does too. They get it all out & make sandwiches, cookies, shakes, & whatever for everyone. They have specific things like McDonalds & Subways. "It's veggie meat Mom" they tell me when they ask if I want a sub sandwich & what kind. Even the mayo is vegan
The chicken nuggets are vegan, & the shakes use soy or rice milk they tell me. This morning my son wanted to build a nest for his bird (some toy bird figure he got from a friend). So he made a nest out of a cpl blankets. "She" proceeded to lay eggs. "They're vegetarian eggs Mom".
How could I argue with that! It's so cute to see them even playing vegetarian. SO I had to make a vegetarian egg pie. & just now he brought me several vegan playdoh candy bars & a fruit roll up! He can be so thoughtful!
:

So do your kids pretend their playfood is vegan? Just thought it would be fun to share stories.

Mom to 3 veggie boyz
:
:

·
Registered
406 Posts
i'm in the midst of making play food right now and i'm trying to be conscious of what types of food i'm making for them - its too cute that your kids are "making" their play food vegan... so sweet!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Oh yes, for sure
Ds1 has a wood pizza that came with pepperoni to velcro on - we call it veggie pepperoni.

I try not and buy anything too "meat-y." Although I am not sure ds1 understands exactly what meat is yet (a whole 'nother thread~)

peace~

·
Registered
359 Posts
We purposely only have vegetarian play food. I've noticed that it seems to be the cheaper plastic sets from places like Toys R Us and Target that have all the meat, fast food, and processed food options, so over the years we've slowly collected the more expensive wooden foods. Also, anytime we have an interesting tin, we add it to the collection, and then the kids can just pretend what's inside.

·
Registered
367 Posts
We have a plastic hamburger in one of our food sets. My ds thinks it is a chocloate biscuit! Actually it does kind of look like one. We have a lot of nice wooden food too, mostly vegetarian, except the tin of hot dogs, but I suppose they could be veggie hotdogs. It is worth saving up to buy the more expensive wooden play sets. The stuff is so much nicer, more detailed and the wood feels nice too.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I just posted about this! I recently got DD a play food set and it seemed so great....TONS of fruits and veggies and the drinks were labeled as cold drink and not soda. Then they tossed in two pieces of fried chicken and two hotdogs.

I did toss them for a couple reasons 1. we don't do fake meat and 2. it seemed so odd to have such unhealthy meats in there. I had never thought about veggie food sets until I opened her set though. It also has Pringles type chips. she thinks they are banana chips and the ketchup nd mustard are just more drinks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We were concerned about this when we were looking into play food, but ended up just getting a wooden fruit and vegetable set. I definitely wouldn't have given him any sort of pretend meat. He does know about some meat items from books, though. He is a good eater and LOVES books about food, so he can now recognize hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. He's only two now but I imagine we'll have to explain it at some point.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
We don't have play food at home, but at preschool the teacher requested familiar grocery items for their classroom grocery store. I loaded up two paper bags full of empty vegan "goods".

·
Registered
550 Posts
We don't give ds any pretend playfood meat. If we had a set that had fake hamburgers and hot dogs, I probably would give him those, as he would assume that they are veggie burgers and veggie dogs. The set we have is soft stuffed fruits and veggies, so it's not an issue anyway. Sometimes I add to his set with cleaned out packages from our real food (like a silken tofu box cleaned and taped shut, or the collectors tin from our og Dr Kracker crackers)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The majority of our wood toys are veggies and bread. We did get dd a sushi set, and it does have fish on a couple of the pieces. We do not eat fish, and during winter break we went to stay with dh's family, who eat a lot of fish. Every time they would fix it both of my dc would complain about how stinky was. At first, she referred to the fish in her sushi set as stinky. Now she calls them cheese and deli slices (faux meat she snacks on sometimes). We also like using nature items or things similar to food, like acorns, buckeyes, and so on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.