Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state that always goes Republican. I always vote either Democrat or third party, so it pretty much feels like my vote is wasted.

Honestly, sometimes I just don't feel like participating in the process given that it's all for naught. (It doesn't help that I'm not a big believer in the process, anyway).

I'm sure there are others in this position. How do you convince yourself that it's worth it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Didn't it come down to something like 537 votes in Florida? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it was something like that. Every vote counts, not only in the big elections but in the local ones, for seats in Congress, and so forth.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My state is never a swing state. It's Republican all the way. I definitely wouldn't feel that my vote was wasted if there was the slightest chance of my state going anyway but Republican.

(Local and state elections are different as there tends to be more flex there).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I understand your frustration, and I have been thinking a lot about it....here is what I came up with:

If it is hard thinking of it making a difference, think of the act of voting as a symbolic gesture of solidarity and protest in honor of those around the world who can't vote or who die trying.

Think of it as a gesture honoring those who went before us who fought for our right to do so (especially women...Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton etc.).

If nothing else, consider your right to whine about the current administration validated only if you actually voted for the opposition.

Does that help?

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Please, please vote and do it proudly, with a sense of purpose. Less than half the people eligible do so. That is shocking and tragic. Don't just vote. Help get the vote out! Register voters in your area. Offer people rides. Wouldn't it be nice to have a president who was actually elected by the majority rather than the majority of the minority that votes?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I like your way of looking at it jessemoon.

I feel that voting for your local representatives is more important than voting for the president. Those are the ones who make the laws (Congress), those are the ones you should write to if they do something that ticks you off. Votes mean something to them, they want to know if they have yours or not. I feel that if someone wants to be politically active, they should start at the local and state level.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone

I feel that voting for your local representatives is more important than voting for the president. Those are the ones who make the laws (Congress), those are the ones you should write to if they do something that ticks you off. Votes mean something to them, they want to know if they have yours or not. I feel that if someone wants to be politically active, they should start at the local and state level.
I feel that way, too. It's important to be heard by your local and state representatives, especially. It's a little frustrating get form letters back all the time, but it's rewarding when a piece of legislation you supported gets passed.

Of course, my congressmen are Republican, too, so when I write to them about drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, I get back an itemized list of the benefits to our country.
: Still, it's important for them to realize that not all of their constituents are pleased.

I guess I'm just thoroughly disenchanted with the workings of our two party system and the extraction of a president from one of the masses of corrupt politicians. It's completely dysfunctional. I have no faith in it. It doesn't mean I won't vote... it just means that it feels more and more like a waste of time.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I know how you feel. I haven't voted yet, because I was 18 at the time of the last election, and screwed up my absentee ballot. But I honestly didn't know who to vote for, because I didn't like either candidate. I think this year, I'll vote for someone who isn't R or D, because at least that's one vote for neither side.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
First, never assume a defeat. Republican voter turnout is always lower than Democratic when the weather is bad. If the Repubs think things are going well, that there will be a landslide, some won't bother to vote. The Repubs may think W has things all wrapped up now because of the Iraqi handover and the good economic numbers, and this may cause some to not bother to vote as well. As Woody Allen said, 95% of life is just showing up.

Your vote is still important because if you don't vote the elected officials can just assume they have the state's 'mandate.' Opposition votes can, and do, sometimes sway legislators into more moderate positions than they would have taken had they gotten a 'landslide'.

Same thing with letters to your representative. It's important they know they are not representing you.

When the party politics of a state changes, I see the minority party regrouping to try to gather more grassroots support, to try to improve their communication apparatus, to try to get more people involved in politics at the county levels.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I live in a state that always goes Republican. I always vote either Democrat or third party, so it pretty much feels like my vote is wasted.
Every vote counts...it does! Especially this upcoming Pres election...if you vote Republican it counts and Democrat of course will count, and third party will still count for Republicans
edited to add:

Quote:
I think this year, I'll vote for someone who isn't R or D, because at least that's one vote for neither side
if only that is how it worked...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeysMama
Every vote counts...it does! Especially this upcoming Pres election...if you vote Republican it counts and Democrat of course will count, and third party will still count for Republicans

ITA!!! And, here's the thing, as kama pointed out, less than half of the people vote at all - so, even though your state has historically gone Rebup. in the past, that just means that's just a reflection of those who bothered to cast their ballot. If enough people actually rise to the occasion and cast a dissenting vote, a change is possible. The people can't expect to exercise their power if they routinely give it away!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I never feel my vote is wasted. I have the option to vote and I always do it. Regardless of the outcome. I would never opt out of voting because I thought it was a waste.

There are too many people out there who think their votes are wastes and choose not to vote. However, if we stop thinking like that I think we'd actually have power for once. Then again.. Just might be wishful thinking.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
What do you think would help?

- 25% of eligible voters remain unregistered on a typical year. You can drive up voter tunout if you register more people.

- I think an election day holiday would be a *great* and easy way to boost voter turnout. It'd be hard for people to forget, easier to get to the polls (esp lower income people). But it seems we can never get it past Congress.

Oddly enough, the fewer people turn out to vote, the more likely it is the Republican candidate will win. So, vote!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts