Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state that always goes Republican. I always vote either Democrat or third party, so it pretty much feels like my vote is wasted.

Honestly, sometimes I just don't feel like participating in the process given that it's all for naught. (It doesn't help that I'm not a big believer in the process, anyway).

I'm sure there are others in this position. How do you convince yourself that it's worth it?

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My state is never a swing state. It's Republican all the way. I definitely wouldn't feel that my vote was wasted if there was the slightest chance of my state going anyway but Republican.

(Local and state elections are different as there tends to be more flex there).

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone

I feel that voting for your local representatives is more important than voting for the president. Those are the ones who make the laws (Congress), those are the ones you should write to if they do something that ticks you off. Votes mean something to them, they want to know if they have yours or not. I feel that if someone wants to be politically active, they should start at the local and state level.
I feel that way, too. It's important to be heard by your local and state representatives, especially. It's a little frustrating get form letters back all the time, but it's rewarding when a piece of legislation you supported gets passed.

Of course, my congressmen are Republican, too, so when I write to them about drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, I get back an itemized list of the benefits to our country.
: Still, it's important for them to realize that not all of their constituents are pleased.

I guess I'm just thoroughly disenchanted with the workings of our two party system and the extraction of a president from one of the masses of corrupt politicians. It's completely dysfunctional. I have no faith in it. It doesn't mean I won't vote... it just means that it feels more and more like a waste of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.