Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing more and more that MWs are discouraging RRL as it seems to be causing some problems. As a doula, I usually only recommend it when they are close to their due date. Now I'm even hearing info about that causing problems? Just hoping to find out the lastest info on it...

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
What kind of 'problems'? I haven't heard this anywhere except from mainstream MD's and CNM's who claim that it is 'unproven' and 'untested' so therefore shouldn't be consummed by pregnant women.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason I thought I had even read something here where someone attributed an issue w/the labor to drinking too much RRL.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
what kind of issue?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know. That's why I'm asking...I cannot recall specifically what I read and heard so I'm trying to find out. My question is what, if any, issues. So I won't have an answer to that. I'm looking for the answer to that, if there is one.

*ETA: The reason I'm asking now is because one of my sisters is pregnant for the first time and she's taking it every day so I want to make sure there haven't been any new findings that it could cause problems.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I read quite a few different journals, etc....and haven't read anything about RL causing problems......
I have had it cause diarrhea in a few patients over the years, but questionable if it was really from that.........
Carla

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Some midwives recommend it only during the third trimester, I haven't heard any precautions though. I love rr leaf, but IMO it may not be best pregnancy tonic herb for all women. It is quite astringent, and I think should be avoided by women who are constitutionally "dry" i.e., already prone to conditions of dryness (constipation, dry skin, etc.)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I stay somewhat current with reading professional and alternative birth and human lactation journals.

I have never read anything that contradicted the use of Red Raspberry tea in pregnancy. Empirical data says it is good for your uterus.

It does not have a FDA or mainstream md's stamp of approval but neither does most things that are healthy and good for us.

The Compleate Mother is a good source for the tea
http://www.compleatmother.com/tea_company.htm

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have been an herbalist for 13 years and the ONLY thing I have ever read or heard about RR not being favorable is the abovementioned astringency. It can sometimes inhibit milk supply a little....

I agree it is not the Best preg tonic on its own. I like it mixed with Nettle and Alfalfa. In any case it is not harmful to drink a mug a day, and I say that as a CBE, Doula, and herbalist mother of 3.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good stuff...

"The findings suggest that the raspberry leaf herb can be consumed by women during their pregnancy for the purpose for which it is taken, that is, to shorten labour with no identified side effects for the women or their babies. The findings also suggest ingestion of the drug might decrease the likelihood of pre and post-term gestation. An unexpected finding in this study seems to indicate that women who ingest raspberry leaf might be less likely to receive an artificial rupture of their membranes, or require a caesarean section, forceps or vacuum birth than the women in the control group."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10754818

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i have an "herbal PDR" which is derived from the comission E monographs that the german gov't. comissioned.

"no health hazards or side effects known in conjection with the proper administration of designated theraputic dosages"

it lists 10 sources, one british and 9 in german.

now, i must say, as lay-herbalist and former HFS manager.. americans (sweeping generalization here) are foolish and take more than they should of just about everything. so yeah, i'm sure if there are mamas who take too much it could make them sick or hurt their baby or pregnancy in some way.

but like most herbs... taken in proper dosage, it's very safe

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
YES to the above, almost wrote that too. 1-2 mugs per day of the tea is fine, tastes lovely, has a calcium content that can counter nausea and heartburn and is a good nourishing tonic for the uterus (not a stimulant, a tonic, big difference). HOWEVER do not go nuts drinking 10 cups a day of that, or any herb tea for that matter....

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
don't know about recent recommendations being to steer clear- there are usually some blanket disclaimers on all herbs so that if someone uses an herb and has a reaction or an unexpected event the people reporting info cannot be considered neglegent.. it is also true that most plant medicines have not been studied so cannot be given any sort of scientific seal of approval.

Also there is some long standing traditions on use and in England Red Raspberry leaf tea has not been recommended for use in early pregnancy- I have read this many places over the years -- while in other places there has not been the same warnings and it is used throughout pregnancy-- but more than the tea I think that berries in general are well advised for overall health- the thing with getting minerals from leaves is that you need to eat the leaves- tea alone is going to offer you little -- how some people manage this is to add the herb to foods

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
here is another study similar to the other one mentioned and it also shows a decrease in instrumental delivery yet the conclusion is that there was no difference--but I think that a reduction in instrumental deliveries is signifigant the number difference is 11% less in the RR group. I would also note that the raspberry leaf in this study was given in tablet form- very different than a traditional dose- of tea ---
J Midwifery Womens Health. 2001 Mar-Apr;46(2):51-9.

Raspberry leaf in pregnancy: its safety and efficacy in labor.

Simpson M, Parsons M, Greenwood J, Wade K.

Holistic Nurses Association, State of New South Wales.

OBJECTIVE: Many women consume the raspberry leaf herb during their pregnancies
in the belief that it shortens labor and makes labor "easier." METHODOLOGY:
Because of the paucity of research regarding this herb, particularly in relation
to pregnancy and birth, the authors undertook a double-blind, randomized,
placebo-controlled trial. The sample consisted of 192 low-risk, nulliparous
women who birthed their babies between May 1999 and February 2000 at a large
tertiary-level hospital in Sydney, Australia. The aim of the study was to
identify the effect and safety of raspberry leaf tablets (2 x 1.2 g per day),
consumed from 32 weeks' gestation until labor, on labor and birth outcomes.
RESULTS: Raspberry leaf, consumed in tablet form, was found to cause no adverse
effects for mother or baby, but contrary to popular belief, did not shorten the
first stage of labor. The only clinically significant findings were a shortening
of the second stage of labor (mean difference = 9.59 minutes) and a lower rate
of forceps deliveries between the treatment group and the control group (19.3%
vs. 30.4%). No significant relationship was found between tablet consumption and
birth outcomes. CONCLUSION: The lack of significant differences between the
groups on measures expected to demonstrate the effect of raspberry leaf
ingestion during pregnancy on labor prompted consideration of the issue of
effectiveness of dosage level. Suggestions for further research are offered.

PMID: 11370690 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I've never heard of it not being safe. My last client drank two cups in very early labor, her baby was born in less than two hours. I wonder if the tea had anything to do with it?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must have had a dream about it or something!
Seriously, I don't know why I could've sworn I had heard a thing or two about it recently. Thanks for the help though. I think I need more sleep.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little update...

Well, my sister was taking it every day. I think just drinking the tea. But she was having tons of cramps and then she was saying they were severe cramps (like she couldn't sleep at night b/c of them). That just does not seem normal to me. It is her first pregnancy. She is 33 so maybe her body just wasn't use to not starting a period.
But I told her to just stop taking it for now. I feel like maybe it was toning her uterus a little too much.
She doesn't seem to be having as much cramping now. Who knows why she was having all that cramping though really, kwim?

It's strange...I really can't remember where I heard something bad about RRL so maybe it was more a feeling that it really wasn't the best thing for her personally to take. I'm thinking it'll be *great* for her to take for the birth if it really was causing all that commotion though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How far along is your sister? I had very painful round ligament pains in the first tri and last month...didn't drink RRL, shoulda, woulda....but I digress

Also, could be dehydration! I think it would be alot more likely to be one of those than the RRL...what you are thinking of is some MDs say it's conraindicated in early pg because it is unknown if it could potentially cause Mc...please
:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmabella View Post
Good stuff...

"The findings suggest that the raspberry leaf herb can be consumed by women during their pregnancy for the purpose for which it is taken, that is, to shorten labour with no identified side effects for the women or their babies. The findings also suggest ingestion of the drug might decrease the likelihood of pre and post-term gestation. An unexpected finding in this study seems to indicate that women who ingest raspberry leaf might be less likely to receive an artificial rupture of their membranes, or require a caesarean section, forceps or vacuum birth than the women in the control group."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10754818
thanks, off to go research that.

I was also wondering about it

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm curious about this too. A doula client of mine is taking it in capsule form, two a day, I believe. I don't know what to tell her about it since I don't know much! I've only heard of people drinking the tea--which I had a friend last year who drank it ALL DAY long EVERY day! Instead of water she drank the cold tea. Perfect preg. and birth.... Who knows...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.