PECS: The Picture Exchange Communication System (spiral bound) wanted.<br><br>
Must be in good condition and come from a non smoking home.<br>
My ds is on the autism spectrum and this has been suggested for him.<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
Liz

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Pecs books are really easy to make...you can go to Kinkos and buy an empty spiral laminated book and take digital photos of things you need to include. Stick some Velcro in the book and on the back of this pics and your done!<br><br>
Since you have to add your own pictures anyway...even with the "ready made" type and they are so much more expensive.<br><br>
I have made a bunch of them for implementation in my classroom...I love them they work wonders with children with autism.<br><br>
Best wishes!<br><br>
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Bathrobe Goddess,<br><br>
while you don't need the book to actually make the PECS, you do need to know how to teach the system to a child, and what prerequisites are needed, and what stages to go through.<br><br>
I work with kids on the spectrum and use PECS with almost all of them. I wish I had a copy to sell/give you but usually I have the family's buy it so that they can use/read it as well. I'll check around though and see if anyone has one they don't need any more. I work with one kid who's used them for 4 years, so his family may be willing to give up the book.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>PikkuMyy</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I'll check around though and see if anyone has one they don't need any more.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Thank you! I'm actually in a horrible place financially so this would REALLY help!<br><br>
I don't have a digital camera... Will a cheap polaroid camera do? I have one of those. hehheh.<br><br>
Peace,<br>
Liz

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Yep... or you can even cut pictures for magazines if you can find very clear ones... or draw them. You can "laminate" with clear contact paper, too...<br><br>
There are some lesson plans on the net, and on the PECS website, but one of the nice things about PECS is that you can adapt it to meet your indicidual child's needs. I've been in many different classrooms and seem PECS books used in many different ways - perhaps some that would never be sanctioned by the maker, but the kids were communicating successfully, so...<br><br>
dar, big on making-do...

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">while you don't need the book to actually make the PECS, you do need to know how to teach the system to a child, and what prerequisites are needed, and what stages to go through.</td>
</tr></table></div>
I also work with children with autism and I *highly* recommend you get help with this part of it...not just the book, real help from those who are trained! In order for PECS to be effective as a tool of communication your child must have consistency, in OT, in PT and in Speech. At home, at school, in the car...really everywhere.<br><br>
I didn't realize that you were on your own with it....lots of good vibes to you.<br><br>
Also, if you get services through the local school district (which you qualify for based on your child's age) they should pay for one for you to use at home and do the training for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts