Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am not getting enough nutrition lately. Nursing and being pg is really taking a toll and I think I need more calories/ nutrition. I am looking for snack ideas that pack a nutritional punch
Any ideas? What is your favorite (healthy) snack? Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Here are a few ideas...

hummus and whole wheat pita
colbyjack cheese and grapes
a hardboiled egg
peanut butter toast
honey nut shredded wheat
chopped up cukes and peppers
tomato salad and crusty bread

oooh, now I'm hungry again!!!!!

Hope these help. : )

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here is a pregnancy milkshake/smoothee DH got from one of the women he works with who is pregnant (pretty much everyone he works with is either pregnant or wives are, its insane!)

milk
cereal (hunny oat w/ almond or similar like raisen bran)
raisens
1/2 banana
frozen strawberrys (or fresh)
sea weed (ask dr since is has sodium in it)
ice cream (vanilla or chocolate)
tofu
ice (makes it more a smoothee or leave it out for milkshake consistency)

I havent tried it yet, and Im sure you can leave something out, but it supposedly carries a punch, protien, iron, fruit, calcium etc.

I personally think that I would leave out the cereal, that kinda grosses me out but I guess it gets all blended and you dont know its there...soo go figure!

Otherwise....I love cucumber sandwiches right now...little peices of bread with creamcheese that has dill and onion mixed in with cucumber slices on top. the same dip is also good with pretzles...ok not super healthy buy yummy!

Also nuts and almonds are a good protien source. Maybe a trial mix of sorts with nuts, granola, cheerios, crackers, raisens (which Im told is baby brain food!) etc.

I cant think of anything else right now. Im not much of a snacker and when I do it doesnt tend to be the healthiest (ie the pretzles and creamcheese
)

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you aren't having any problems w/ aversion to these....

avocado or guacamole - alone, or on a sandwich - lots of Vit. E, A and good fats

hummus (which another poster mentioned) as an add on or a snack w/ veggies

Wild Oats & Whole foods have some fantastic cereals (I love Perfomance Crunch) that are high fiber, high protein, have flaxseeds, etc. Great even if your tummy is having trouble - I make it my before bed snack since I can't manage much of anything during the day :puke

hope these help

·
Registered
629 Posts
sarah, I'm a nursing mama, too and boy do I get hungry. I usually reach for the following:

whole grain bread and fresh peanut butter
crackers and cheese
yogurt
banana, orange, apple or any veggie that's easy for me to prepare.

HTH

B

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! All of your suggestions really help!

Quote:
I make it my before bed snack since I can't manage much of anything during the day
I may try to start having a before bed snack...When I wake up to pee at like 3 in the morning, I always feel emaciated....great idea (sorry you have been sick
)

Quote:
I'm a nursing mama, too and boy do I get hungry
man, it's like a constant constant deep seeded hunger
...hoping some of these snack ideas will help. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Quote:
I may try to start having a before bed snack...When I wake up to pee at like 3 in the morning, I always feel emaciated....great idea (sorry you have been sick )
I keep graham crackers by the bed. They are quick to eat but make crumbs and are not too healthy but in the middle of the night it works well.

I also like healthy granola bars, I keep one in my purse all the time. My favorite is a pumpkin flax plus that has tie dye designs on the package, they say "authentic '60s granola bar" on them. Wait I have one right here, they are Nature's Path.

This thread is making me even hungrier...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
peanut butter on a banana
assorted veggie platter with dip
apple slices
mini pizzas on bagels
veggie eggrolls
Wheat thins with cheese

Or whatever I can eat with one hand while chasing the naked toddler through the house before he catches the cat by the tail.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Maybe check out the bulk bins at Whole Foods (is you have one)There are tons of nuts, snack mixes, cereals and other really yummy things. I love getting a little bit of "everything" to try when the munchies hit!

I love raw brocolli and califlower! Oh, and snap peas -- but they're a bit pricey.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm sitting here at work at my keyboard cracking up....

But seriously, I've been snarfing great quantities of little grape tomatoes! They're ripe and yummy all year round.

And for those moments when you gotta have protein, a quick lunchmeat/cheese rollup will keep you from eating your shoes. (Only for the non-vegetarians, unfortunately.)

For some reason with me, it's all about timing. I have to eat at least five times a day - a substantial breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, something at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, dinner, and sometimes a late night yogurt or (or preferably, frozen yogurt!!) before bed.

Surprisingly, I've only gained about 3 pounds so far. I feel huge, but that's a different matter.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Or whatever I can eat with one hand while chasing the naked toddler through the house before he catches the cat by the tail.
:

my life!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.