Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently nursing dd (3 weeks) and ds (2-1/2). I used to nurse ds to sleep for his nap and lay sleeping dd down at the bottom of ds's bed. Now that dd is alert a liitle more during the day and needs to sleep in my arms or sling I am finding that I have to nurse them together for naptime. But I can't find a comfortable position. Any advice on how to position ds and dd while I am laying on my side nursing ds from the bottom breast? With dd being so young she still needs lots of support.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
:LOL I just finished doing that

I have been putting DD (baby) on the top breast, laying across my ribs, holding her by placing my arm between her legs. She 'sits' in the bend in my arm, and I can hold her head up if needed with my hand. I also use a small pillow on my ribs for her head. DS nurses from the other breast while I'm laying down.

Comfy?? Not really, but it works. Some days, DD will just lay in the bed and play with a toy while DS is falling asleep, but not today!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I usually nurse the little one first, then big sister. If, for whatever reason, they are both upset and crying and I absolutely must nurse them both at the same time, I sit DD1 in my lap on one leg, then lay DD2 in her lap facing towards her, latch the baby on, and then get big sis to latch herself on. Does that make any sense? It's like I have DD1 in my lap, somewhat seated, and little one in cradle hold actually laying on top of her sister nursing the other side.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What worked for me when the baby was smaller was to lay on my back in bed, propped up with a couple of pillows. Toddler was lying along my side with his head on my shoulder (actually more like armpit) and baby on her belly on my belly face down nursing and then I could use the arm on the baby side to keep her from rolling off or to steer her around to get her latched on. I later discovered that I could read to DS too by holding the book in the hand on his side. Talk about multitasking! :LOL

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If you have a copy of "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower, take it out and look up "positions" in the index (my mom has my copy, so I'm not sure what page...maybe 143 or so). The "perch" position (which, in the book, happens to be a picture of me nursing my youngest and oldest
) worked well for us. You lay on your side and let your older nursling latch on to the 'bottom' breast (nursling completely laying on the bed, not on your arm). Then you basically hold baby in the football hold or lay baby along your side (on top of you) and latch baby on. When the older nursling is done nursing, you can roll to your back then get up without disturbing the sleeping older nursling too much.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I think it will just take more practice. Dd is still quite young so I'm sure once I don't have to support her head quite as much it will get easier. I'm sure by the time I figure it out ds will decide to stop napping anyway

mom2threenurslings - I do have the book and don't know why I didn't pull it out - duh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts