Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD's birthday is coming up & I want to make her a cake with buttercream-style frosting. Anyone have a tried & true recipe that is dairy & soy free?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hmmm - I'm looking too -DD's b-day is in Sept and we are dairy and soy free as well.

I don't have a tried and true, but I think subbing coconut oil may work well and taste good. I'll let you know how it comes out if I try it soon - maybe someone here already has!

There's also the option of just doing a glaze type topping with confectioner's sugar and a milk sub (coconut milk, or rice or almond - esp the vanilla ones) or juice.

Oh - do you have a dairy and soy free cake recipe to share? I could use that too

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about coconut oil, but I don't think it will work in this heat! My A/C is set to 80 & the coconut oil is liquid at this temp. I think it would end up just sliding off the cake.

If I can't come up with anything else, I'll just go with fondant, but that's not the "look" I want this year.

Here's my favorite cake recipe:
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 c sugar
1/2 c rice milk
2 Tbs oil (I've used canola & coconut)

Combine flour & baking powder.

Beat eggs with mixer until thick. Add sugar a little at a time while beating w/mixer. Add flour mixture & stir just until combined.

Heat milk & oil. Add to batter & mix.

Bake in greased 9 inch pan at 350 for 20-25 mins.

This is a very yummy cake, but it isn't terribly firm so it's not the best for turning out of the pan & making a layer cake with.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the recipe I ended up using. It was perfect! It works up very similar to buttercream, just a bit softer. Tastes good, too...sort of marshmallow-y. I love marshmallows, but even DH, who hates them, liked the frosting.

And here's some pictures of the cake.

We're in the process of trialing dairy (so far so good!) and I made a buttercake with real butter. I substituted rice milk + lemon juice for the buttermilk the recipe called for, though. I would guess that coconut oil would substitute well for butter in a buttercake recipe. The cake I made had 5 layers so it needed a firm cake!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Thank you so much Shannon for posting how things turned out! Your cake looked AWESOME that is so cute! Did you make it up or did you find instructions for it somewhere?

I may end up using your recipes for my DD. She would be too young this year to appreciate the effort of that castle cake, but I may try that in another year or two!

BTW Hannah is a cutie!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your welcome!

And thanks for the compliments!

I didn't come up with the castle idea on my own. It's from a Family Fun Birthday Cake book that we checked out from the library. I let DD pick out which cake she wanted. I did scale down their formula, though...theirs called for 4 layers for the main part of the castle and 3 for the tower. I did 3 and 2. And it was still huge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts