Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...ml?source=mypi

Quote:
KIRYAT SHEMONA, Israel -- U.N. observers in southern Lebanon called the Israeli military 10 times during a six-hour period to ask it to halt an airstrike before their observation post was hit, according to details of a preliminary U.N. report on the incident. Four U.N. observers were killed in the bombing Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajama
This is getting really scary.
I am very scared.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I feel very sad for the people who died in this bombing, but I couldn't help but think that maybe this will focus attention on getting a cease-fire. I'm very saddened that the loss of all the civilian life, especially the children that have been killed, wasn't enough to get the world (and especially the US) to push for an immediate cease-fire, but maybe the fact that the UN was hit will.

I feel kind of guilty for thinking this, but when I saw the US citizens being evacuated, for a second I wondered what would happen if a vehicle going to help evacuate US citixens was hit. Would Bush still say that 'while tragic, the civilian deaths will lead to clarity in the region' if the civilian deaths were US citizens?

My prayers to everyone in the region.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Modern war is so crazy. I find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that there are people just there - observing it- like the UN but also reporters, etc.

athansor- that is a good question. What would the US do if Israel accidentally (because I do believe this was a tragic accident) bombed a US convoy of civilians? I think the American public might be a bit more apt to get behind a cease-fire then......

Or perhaps i have been watching too many West Wing reruns lately

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deirdre

Or perhaps i have been watching too many West Wing reruns lately

I know what you mean.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by athansor
.. but when I saw the US citizens being evacuated, for a second I wondered what would happen if a vehicle going to help evacuate US citixens was hit.
At least one Canadian has been killed in Lebanon. He was on vacation visiting relatives. The story was on BBC.com but now I can't find it.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It is not the first tme the IDF has deliberately bombed the UN...

in 1996, the bombed a UN compound where hundreds of civilians were taking shelter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qana_shelling

Quote:
Amnesty International conducted an on-site investigation of the incident in collaboration with military experts, using interviews with UNIFIL staff and civilians in the compound, and posing questions to the IDF, who did not reply. Amnesty concluded, "the IDF intentionally attacked the UN compound, although the motives for doing so remain unclear. The IDF have failed to substantiate their claim that the attack was a mistake. Even if they were to do so they would still bear responsibility for killing so many civilians by taking the risk to launch an attack so close to the UN compound."
Human Rights Watch concurred, "The decision of those who planned the attack to choose a mix of high-explosive artillery shells that included deadly anti-personnel shells designed to maximize injuries on the ground -- and the sustained firing of such shells, without warning, in close proximity to a large concentration of civilians -- violated a key principle of international humanitarian law."
Interestingly, it seems that none of the mainstream western media remembers this, because they certainly aren't mentioning it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts