Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh - I am getting frusterated & don't know which direction to go in - I have a basic hotsling pouch & it has been great until now.
: I can't get a good fit. Emma is @15 pounds & 24 inches . She loves the kangaroo carry & is still a bit to wobbly for a hip carry in the pouch it isn't tight enough around her & she leans way forward in it. THe pouch just gets all jacked up & twisted.

What should I go to?? I want her in front since I need to reach her face as she spits up a lot. I use it the most when we go shopping & out & about - (I'm anti-stroller
)
Would a ring sling be good or what else can you suggest?

Thanks!

· Registered
560 Posts
Kate,

Is your pouch too large? What fabric is it? You may be able to shrink it a little in the dryer. I just shrunk one of mine and it's da bomb now.

My son lives in the modified kangaroo/cradle hold. Here are a couple of pics...

http://www.hotslings.com/catalog.php...3Fcategory%3D7

and

http://www.hotslings.com/large_images/kanga9.jpg

If you are still having troubles, send me an email.

Also, for a little while there I was using my Wise Woman Sling a lot. It's a pouch with rings. www.wisewomansling.com

· Registered
274 Posts
i had a similar problem of transition with my dd...i switched to the maya wrap b/c i good get a tighter fit...but after some period of adjustment, i was able to go back to pouch! then of course, it all may have been a ruse to justify owning more than one babycarrying device!

· Registered
2,349 Posts
have you tried a mei tai - I guess there are probably a ton of options out there with the variety of carriers but I like the versatility of the mei tai. I wouldn't give up on trying yet because I know there is a lot of good product support here on the boards, and you may try to find someone in your area to meet with you and make sure you are fitted properly and using the carrier correctly.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! THe only other one I've tried is the maya & it has too much fabric for my taste. Kris - My pouch is the basic cotton khaki one. Its been great until now & I'm so sad!! It is size small. I don't think I should go any smaller - I had a small stretch but that was TOO tight. Emma is chunky so I don't think that helps any.
I have been considering a fleece pouch as we are in Wisconsin now (from San Antonio) & it is so freaking cold here. Maybe I can get DH to take a picture of her in it this next week (we're headed out in about 4 hours) I've used this one since she was bitty so it holds sentimental value as well. I just can't get her in right facing out & she hates the cradle hold. She likes to be in it w/ her arms above the fabric. She seems snug this way but once I put her on my hip she leans way back or forward & doesn't seem secure.
I've looked at the mei tei's but haven't found any simple enough - I'm boring!

How do you think a fleece pouch would work?? Anyone know of anyone w/ basic plain mei tei's?
Thanks!

· Registered
850 Posts
If you contact any one of the WAHM that makes mei tais, I am sure they could definitely make you a plain mei tai. Most of the mei tais are made with plain canvas or twill backing and straps, the most popular being black and natural. Rather than using a decorative fabric, they can just use the black or natural. You can also send in your own fabric if you choose.

HTH,
Tereasa

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TereasaT
If you contact any one of the WAHM that makes mei tais, I am sure they could definitely make you a plain mei tai. Most of the mei tais are made with plain canvas or twill backing and straps, the most popular being black and natural. Rather than using a decorative fabric, they can just use the black or natural. You can also send in your own fabric if you choose.

HTH,
Tereasa
This is true - they can probably do just about anything you ask (reversible to khaki tan or black, etc.), so you can probably just go on physical features (strap width and such), price, and recommendation and contact the maker of your choice.

· Registered
240 Posts
YOu have to flip the shoulder to tighten it. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...87#post1903387 about half way down is the hip carry with a smaller baby and the shoulder flipped. Try this and if it doesn't work post back. There's a second trick and I'm trying to remember it. My Little Miss Morgan is about exactly that size and she has NO interest in a hip carry. She does a sideways facing out. Every 20 minutes or so I pull the fabric over her one arm and part of her head to kind of conceal her in the pouch and then she gets to escape and put her head and both arms out. It keeps her busy and slows her down from trying to dive head first out

Hope this helps

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone! I tried the shoulder flip & it worked GREAT!!! Thank you!! I may still look in to a custom mei tei once I have the extra $! Thanks a bunch - Ahh- happily slinging again!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.