Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been dealing with thrush from week 2. ds is now going on 9 weeks. i have been to the doc who has prescribed nizoral which i take 2x a day and nystatin cream....it isnt helping. i am also taking acidopholis and using gentian violet (everything is now purple). im watching what i eat, cutting out dairy and sweets, and im eating yogart. ds is being treated with nystatin too. yesterday i was getting excited because the pain was almost gone and the deep cracks in my nipples were going away. now the burning and raisor pains are back and i just want to scream! what else can i do?
im in tears each time i feed and when im not feeding im dreading feeding. im am afraid that i do not have that wonderful bond that i had with ds1. i hate to nurse due to the pain so i dont connect like i should. help me please!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Stop the gentian violet. It breaks down skin tissue and can make cracks worse. Stop the Nystatin. It has sugar in it which also feeds the yeast. Get to your doc ASAP and get Diflucan for both of you. Make sure they give it to you for 1-2 weeks with a double loading dose on the first day.

If your doc doesn't agree to that treatment, get some Grapefruit Seed Extract pills from Nutribiotic (most health food stores and even GNC sell them) and take twice the dosage listed on the bottle for 2 weeks.
If you don't have a fabric softener compartment on your washing machine, get a Downy ball and use that to put 1/8 c vinegar in the rinse cycle (fill the Downy ball the rest of the way with water so it can empty easily). If you don't rinse all your clothes with vinegar, at least do your bras and underwear and baby's diapers if you use cloth. Anything that goes in baby's mouth needs to be boiled for 10 minutes or washed in the washing machine with a vinegar rinse.

I've either used Lansinoh with lavender essential oil or Lotrimin AF ointment on my nipples. You don't have to wipe them off between feedings. When I do the lavender, I put 1-2 drops on my thumb, a blob of lansinoh on my index finger and then tap them together to mix. Then I pinch my nipple to get the cream on there.

Another option is to peel a garlic clove and put it under your tongue or in your vagina overnight (it won't get lost
). Garlic totally kills yeast in your body. And you can use plain, active culture yogurt on some breast pads for soothing relief. Megadose on Vitamin C as well. Yeast hates that.

I've probably totally overwhelmed you with info. I'm the yeast fighting pro! I lived in Hawaii and was nursing two and we kept having thrush issues. I also had thrush after Amelie was born. I even had a mild case of it after Skanda was born in which I treated my nipples with diluted vinegar and his mouth with diluted baking soda. You have lots of options here. Let me know if you have any questions. It sounds like you have a stubborn case and that means you want to pull out the big guns: either Diflucan or GSE.

And here's even more reading: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If it is thrush, it sound like it's coming back because of the deep cracks in your nipples. That is the perfect place for thrush to breed. You need to get those cracks healed up. You might want to try nipple shields for a few days to get your cracks healed. Make sure you sanatize them in between each use. I've always been scared to suggest these because your dc will have to suck differently with a nipple shield, but all the moms I've "talked" to here say they never had a problem with nipple confusion due to nipple shields.

Also, are you sterilizing everything? You need to wash your bras in SUPER hot water in between each use. Don't resuse towels. Wash after each use. If you pump, sterilize all pump parts in between each use. Use breast pads only once before throwing them away (disposables) or washing them (reusables). If your dc uses a pacifier, sterilize it in between each use. Be very careful. Thrush can be tricky to get rid of. Oh, and if it really is thrush, don't use lanolin. That will just make the environment more thrush-friendly.

Last thing, are you sure it's thrush? Search other posts for the whole sore nipple/pain in the nipple thing. Some women thought they had thrush and it ended up not being that (I was one of them). Good luck!

S.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to the doc years ago for a yeast infection and was given diflucan and i had an allergic reaction so that is out of the question, that is why i am on nizoral. i first started taking it once a day and now they have uped it to one twice a day. i am doing the vinegar wash and i am washing after each feeding with vinegar. maybe ill try the vit C and garlic. im just so afraid that i wont get the bond ds and i need to have.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The vinegar could be irritating the cracked skin. I only suggested the lanolin in combination with lavender. Lavender essential oil is antifungal so it kills thrush. The lanolin soothes the nipples and helps heal them. If you don't mix it with lavender EO, though, you'll be trapping the thrush in there and it will just hang out and not go away.
You may want to put the nystatin on your nipples instead of vinegar, for now.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Just some encouragement to you mama. I remember expressing bottle after bottle of pink milk and even that hurt. You can get through it....I promise! Don't give up you're doing what's best for you and your baby!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the support, i really need it.

i nursed ds1 but not as long as i should have. i did not have support i needed, not because anyone was against it but because of ignorance. i didnt know about the internet forums, LLL, lc or anything. i had a book. woohoo.

now that i know what i know i want to nurse forever. but with this thrush which is more stubborn than my 2 yr old im really having a hard time dealing with the pain. i am so afraid that i havent bonded well with ds2. i remember ds1 adored me from day one and i didnt get to nurse him until 2 days because he was sick and wisked away to another hospital. he always looked at me no matter who had him he always looked at me, ds2 looks at his daddy or is constantly looking for him. maybe im just worried or jealous of daddy and ds2 relationship. i dont know.

i do know that i want an extended nursing relationship and that is my goal. the support i get bfing ds2 is amazing now. dh tells me he is proud of how i havent given up with all the pain from the thrush. he brags on me at work, and because my boss (there are only 2 of us in the office) is such a good man (and my doctors fil) he is very supportive of me pumping, he also reminds me to go pump if im working hard and there is a possibility of time slipping away.

anyway thanks for the support!! i needed that. and thanks for all the great sugestions to clear up the thrush. im going to get some vit c and garlic right as soon as i leave work. omg i just pumped 3oz typing this!

·
Registered
602 Posts
i had thrush very bad with my ds. it took months to get over. dr didn't believe me and i tried everything. what finally did work was nystatin for ds, grapefruit seed extract orally in pills and also in a solution (see http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/thrush.htm ) on my nipples hourly. i didn't do it to ds's mouth since he never seemed to get the white spots in his mouth or a rash on his bottom--just my nipples hurt. i don't want to discourage you but it took months (and i mean over 3 months) before i was yeast free. and i boiled nursing pads, even ruined a few bras by boiling, used lots of vinegar in the wash, in the rinse, in everything i could (towels, sheets, underwear, etc). oh you can add grapefruit seed extract (the liquid) into your wash too and that is supposed to help. i did it too. not sure if the vinegar or that helped but didn't care. finally by 4 months we were yeast free (but i still took acidopholis everyday of nursing until my son weaned himself due to the new pregnancy).

you can do it!!!! just remember lots of women here to support you!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
On your breasts clean with vinager and then put on the olive oil! let the baby nurse it off also you can clean out his mouth with vinvager (My DD loves the tast at only a few moths old. It has always cleared up our yeast. I know that this is hard! dont give up and breath with the pain. I will send posative energy your way!

Elizabeth

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you
thank you

i was hurting really bad at work today but ds just fell asleep at the breast and i didnt feel the pain i had yesterday and this morning. i was so scaird to put him to breast so he cried a little bit, then i bit my lip and wow it wasnt that bad!

i cant wait for painfree nursing so we can both enjoy it

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
right on, kavamamakava!!!
: you've got the right rx for this problem. 7 weeks of yeast is NOT OK and needs to be treated appropriately. Find a doc who will rx the diflucan for you AND baby, follow every other suggestion kavamamakava made, and you will be in nursies heaven shortly!!! Hugs to you, this sucks and I applaud you for hanging in there this long!!!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dove
right on, kavamamakava!!!
: you've got the right rx for this problem. 7 weeks of yeast is NOT OK and needs to be treated appropriately. Find a doc who will rx the diflucan for you AND baby, follow every other suggestion kavamamakava made, and you will be in nursies heaven shortly!!! Hugs to you, this sucks and I applaud you for hanging in there this long!!!

:
:

nak

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dove
you've got the right rx for this problem. 7 weeks of yeast is NOT OK and needs to be treated appropriately. Find a doc who will rx the diflucan for you AND baby
She said she had a bad reaction to Diflucan. It is a strong drug. It is not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
gosh, i am new here - feeling a little attacked (not just this thread) She said she had an allergic reaction. Lots of people think they have an allergic reaction to a med and it turns out to either be a coincidence or that the reaction is not that severe and the bene's outweigh the risks. I have a LOT of experience giving huge doses of diflucan to folks, so I am not just blowing smoke here. It will be between her and her practitioner to decide. I am aware that diflucan is a "strong" drug.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
I was not aware you were an MD.

Here on mdc we share information. Yes, it is between her and her dr to decide. She and her dr had already decided it was not good for her yet you are "prescribing" it for her. Many moms here and elsewhere in my exp have had success with Diflucan. In her case, she shared that it did not go well for her. I am offering information as I always do to help mothers make an informed decision.

SIDE EFFECTS of Diflucan

In Patients Receiving a Single Dose for Vaginal Candidiasis: During comparative clinical studies conducted in the United States, 448 patients with vaginal candidiasis were treated with Diflucan, 150 mg single dose. The overall incidence of side effects possibly related to Diflucan was 26%. In 422 patients receiving active comparative agents, the incidence was 16%. The most common treatment-related adverse events reported in the patients who received 150 mg single dose fluconazole for vaginitis were headache (13%), nausea (7%), and abdominal pain (6%). Other side effects reported with an incidence equal to or greater than 1% included diarrhea (3%), dyspepsia (1%), dizziness (1%), and taste perversion (1%). Most of the reported side effects were mild to moderate in severity. Rarely, angioedema and anaphylactic reaction have been reported in marketing experience.

Dr Jack Newmon on flucanazole (Diflucan):

http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/br...e-drnewman.htm

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I am not an MD, never said I was. I will not share what my licensure is because I am wanting to help not rx. I was not rx'ing her, just excited that kavamamakava has the most recent and comprehensive info. She also has practical experience 'cause it happened to her and I was applauding her for sharing her vast and succinct knowledge. Once again, mama states she had an ALLERGIC reaction. She did not say she had outright anaphylaxis or a huge reaction. I am working w/her privately to determine what happened, I am not being unsafe here. Lots of docs are afraid to rx diflucan, esp. if it is an off-label use. They are more concerned with covering their a$$ than really looking at what the patient needs. So, maybe she had one little thing happen and the doc said, "get off the med" because he/she is unused to using that drug or is uncomforteable with it. That is what we are looking at. Obviously, there are other things to try if it is unsafe for her. There are many variables to every situation. Sorry if I am misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Just to add, mama states the diflucan she tried was years ago and she had the reaction then. Side effects of drugs are also very commonly dubbed "allergic reactions", even if detailed product literatute, well, details them. Drugs and metabolisms are funny, things can change. Also, drugs can be given serially so that they can become tolerated, even with anaphylactic-type reactions. This is usually only done in life-threatening situations, or in instances where there is only one med that will work. Once again, I say I will help out with info too, want folks to make informed choices - that sometimes means looking at more than one angle or simple package information.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i feel your pain...the only thing that ended up working for us was constant, that means after every feeding, even during the night, use of lotrimin on the nipples and four days of gentian violet in child's mouth. and continue gentian for another week after symptoms have disappeared so that complete die-off of the yeast will happen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts