Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know about the law in Italy regarding NIP? Are there protective laws like back home in the USA?
I haven't seen any NIP here at all! You'd think with all those masterpieces of
"Madonna and child" here that people would be more accepting. From what I have heard, the trend right now is to BF for 6 wks, to "get your tummy back" and then switch to bottles because the thought is BFing will ruin "la linea" (the line) of your breasts!
Anyways, let me share quickly as dd is done with "second breakfasts"

I was NIP at the mall the other day....unless someone went OUT OF THEIR WAY to look, the only thing visible were baby legs! ( I was being esp. more discreet than I would have been normally because I was out with one of "the Grandparents".) Still, I think a woman sitting nearby actually hissed at me!
: I also thought I heard someone say "ooh bruta" which literally is "ugly" but also implies that which is "not done" in good society...
Of course, I say "think" b/c I was doing my best to tune out everyone but my baby.
What's up with that? Thanks in advance.....
D.S.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i don't know about laws, but i was in italy (liguria) a few months ago, nursing my almost 2-year old everywhere and no one so much as looked my way. hmmm. sorry you have to hear that stuff. good you are teaching them something!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...
I had searched the LLL site but couldn't find any specifics..now all I have to do is translate!

Just wanted to also add a little info...
We're in a pretty international area, and also near Milan so I'm not sure if my experiences reflect that. Being the "fashion capital" and all, I think it is custom to focus a bit on external appearances. I love the Italians! In general, they are some of the warmest people!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was just in Florence for a week and saw several mothers NIPing (one nursing a toddler while walking around!) and no one batted an eye at them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
my sister just spent over a month in italy and nearly convinced me to move. She said, " all they do is love children, have children and shop" and breastfeeding is so normal I don't think a law is needed.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm going there in a few months...my dd will be 13 months old, and I'll be bfing here everywhere...I hope what you say is not true all over Italy. I figured they would be very accepting there.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I was in Umbria a year or so ago and nummies were had all over. My friend's SIL has nursed her son for two years, and her mother discouraged her from stopping this year (he's almost three).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hmmm, a few months ago I was in Itally (all over) for just over a week nursing my 10 month old - no one said a thing or gave me any strange looks at all. In fact, a group of grandma aged women even insisted looking at dd in my sling while she was nursing, and they acted VERY happy to see that she was eating. I did get lots of comments on how wonderful the ring sling was to carry her around in, and way easier then a stroller too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.