Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, with my daughter - I tried Cocoa butter and it didn't help too much. My tummy has now started itching.

Any natural herbal types of lotions or otherwise any of your reccomend? Like maybe a lotion with Hemp oil? I am not convinced any of it prevents stretch marks, but something to relieve the itching would be nice...

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
I seem to recall having good results with Vitamin E when I was pregnant with ds, but that was a long time ago. I didn't have much trouble with itching with dd.

I don't care about stretch marks...my belly already looks like a road map.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was told that if you rub a palmful of olive oil on your belly, let it absorb for as long as you can (10 minutes or so), and then gently wash it off with a mild soap, it really does a good job moisturizing. Of course, I'm Italian, so we use Olive Oil for everything.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, that reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Windex. Did you see that movie? Funny! Can any Greeks on the board confirm that they (or the culture in general) really do use Windex alot? Of course not for itchy bellies, I hope?

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband is Greek (his parents are from Greece.) no, they dont't use Windexl ike that, LOL (but they do use lots of Olive Oil!) :LOL I would say that movie is a very good representation of the Greek culture though. My side of the family is "English," and his Greek family is totally different than ours. Kissy kissy, huggy huggy, OPA!, can you feel the love, - they grew thier own grapes to make wine and they dance Greek Style at weddings and laugh... and my ears ring after I am in a room with more than 5 of them cause it gets so loud.
: I went to his sister's wedding. It was really nice and very... OPA!

Needless to say, I decided not to have a wedding. Well, Greeks like their weddings, but I didn't want the fuss or to be bothered and of course I am not Greek! I know the family was not thrilled. We got married at the Justice of the Peace, just he and I and his best friend... and afterwards his mother kept trying to get me to dress in her daughters wedding dress and have my photo taken at some studio so she could pretend I had a Big Greek Wedding. I of course declined.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
my belly has been itching like crazy for the last couple weeks!!

i got this cocoa butter/vitamin E oil made specifically for pregnant itchy bellies and it seems to work well, but only for little periods of time. i just keep it next to me at all times

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Try rosehip oil. It (allegedly) can actually repair damaged skin, including the stretchmarks- I'll let you know if this works for me, but it smells yummy.
I'm blending it 30 ml sweet almond, 5 ml rosehip seed oil, and some tangerine e.o- it smells gorgeous

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Body Shop has Coconut body butter!!! Can you say yummy?!! It moisturizes ALL day and I am half indian and have dark and dry skin. It smells like you just went tanning!! (of course they have other "flavors" if coconut is not your thing, but the body butter is thick and you don't need much to keep your skin wonderfully smooth and itch free!! It is a little pricey($16 for a 6.9 oz) but you don't use much like I said..I am on my 2nd tub and I am 8 months preggo now..so not bad(I use it for arms, legs etc..too though)
Give it a try

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My fav is a calendula flower infused in Olive or almond or apricot kernel an adding shea and cocoa (unrefined) with the addition of a little lavender essential oil.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I got some Body Shop Bergamot Lotion for Mother's Day and it has been very helpful with the itchy tummy. If you want something stronger, Eucerin Calming Creme is very good (I have dealt with sensitive/itchy skin for years).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I had a funky rash thing going on with my first pregnancy and I ITCHED uncontrolable. For just itching, anything that feels cool to the skin helps

I liked noxema (we use to use it for sunburns)
and a lotion called serna lotion. That's just for itching.. I doubt it will do much for stretch marks and such. but they do help the itch.

amber

·
Registered
95 Posts
My belly hasn't been intensely itchy, but it has been somewhat itchy every now and then. The best thing I've found so far is California Baby's Super Sensitive lotion. It takes away the itch (at least for awhile!) and is also a really good moisturizer. I haven't found it in stores, but it's available on amazon.com.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts