Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been battling stink on and off for a bit now, but finally had it under control, i have to use a crazy amount of water(which really irks me), but i need to be able to cd. here is my routine: hot wash with 1/2 reccomened amount of HE detergent( in my top loader), then a hot wash with 1/2 cap calgon, and 2 more hot washes. So far this has been the only thing that has worked, I swear i tried every combo out there, and it would start to work for a week or two, but the stink would come back eventually. I have used this routine for at least 2 months and it has been good. Well we just ran out of calgon, but i can't get more til friday...all of my dipes stink like crazy, even the OC stuff. The only thing i have changed is dropping the calgon. grrr....I hate being a slave to that stuff, it is so expensive. Once i get it back since i know that is the problem for sure now, I am going to try to cut down on the number of washes i do...just thought i'd share.

nak~debi

· Registered
16,471 Posts
Have you tried vinegar instead? Calgon is the best, but vinegar works okay in some hard water.

My wash routine is cold wash with a little Tide and sometimes tea tree oil (like this week she had tummy flu. Pee-yew!). Then a HOT wash with 1/2 cup vinegar. It usually turns out okay. I've only had to strip once in 2 mos and it was because I accidentally added too much detergent.

Darshani

· Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea Darshani! I will try that. I have admit the only way i have used vinegar was in conjuction(is that the right word?)with baking soda(thought i read on here that if you use one ya need the other to balance the ph or something?). I just can't believe it only took one wash for it to come back without the calgon.

oh yeah, how much is a little det, and tto?

· Registered
1,363 Posts
We have insanely hard water... well it's high in iron because our pipes are bad... I'm talking we get less than half the use of a Pur faucet mounted filter as you're supposed to before we have to replace, because all the iron clogs the filter... So I don't know if that counts the same as more naturally occuring hard water but anyway... I don't have problems with stinky dipes. I use vinegar in the rinse (full downy ball) and that's it. Used to use baking soda (or water softener) and TTO in the wash but didn't think it was doing anything but wasting me money so I dropped it.

If vinegar doesn't help, I am told there is some product called Sport Wash you can get at WalMart (don't know who makes it) that is all natural and takes the stink out of dipers amazingly well. I have never looked for or used it so I can't confirm or deny this... but that's what I am told.

· Registered
330 Posts
We have super hard water too - but vinegar really made our stink worse. I finally got an okay wash routine going after months of dealing with it. I use half a cup of baking soda in a prewash (front loader), with cold water. Then about a quarter of suggested amount on hot wash/cold rinse. Followed by another hot wash/cold rinse with nothing else added. Every month or so, I put some calgon in with the detergent to help out.

ETA - we got the Sportswash in the hunting section at Wal-Mart and it works really well too!

· Registered
16,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamoo

oh yeah, how much is a little det, and tto?

I use Tide powder. On the scoop there are two lines for big and small loads. I use 1/2 to 1/4 of the small load line, depending on how big of a load I'm doing. I use about 4 drops of TTO.

Darshani

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.