Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, any good festivals going on in RI or surrounding areas?
I will be in Narragansett ( Point Judith ) for 2 weeks in August and would love to go to a festival with DH and the kiddos ( 3 and 1 1/2 ) so got to be family friendly is all.

Dh wants to go to Gathering of the Vibes in Albany NY on August 17th, just between you and me, I think he is a little ambitious
:

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Seconding Waterfire! Great time, even for the kiddos! But bring your sling because it's usually a late night and little legs get tired and the way it's set up, you would be hard-pressed to get a stroller through there if you use them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi, I was just looking at the website for Waterfire and I feel like I just did not get a good impression about what goes on. I understand the part about lighting things in the river and that there is jazz (nice!) but is there anything else?

For some reason I just thought it would be more than that since it is such a big attraction...perhaps I have to just go and see and I will understand...

Anyone have a better explination of the event than the website?

Thanks! Paige

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Waterfire is more like an 'experience' than an event. The first Waterfire was actually an art installation. It was so well loved that the city asked it to become a regular part of the summer, and the Artist agreed.

Basically, there is a walkway going up and down the river. There are speakers all over the place, piping in music that each year is selected to be a part of Waterfire. The musical selections are 50% of the atmosphere, sometimes eerie, spooky, and sometimes haunting. Sometimes the music is uplifting, surging, and fun. Large black boats travel up and down the river, feeding the huge cauldrons of fire as needed. Folks walk the river, hearing the music, smelling and seeing the fire, seeing each other...it is kinda primordial

There are food vendors, street performers also around.

You just gotta go and see!

I have a soft spot in my heart for Waterfire, DH and I went there the day we met
:

·
Registered
73 Posts
WORMTOWN garden of eden 9/16-18!! Serious family-friendly, much more so than vibes. i personally would never bring my kids to the vibes but i have friends that do. that's more stress than fun in my opinion. they get tired of waiting in line for water and potty.
wormtown has kids' cabin activities all day long, and they even have a kids set where the kids can get on stage and sing "we are the kids of wormtown". its so cute even the tapers smile.

we LOVE festivals!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thank you so much for mentioning Garden of Eden! We just got back from Camp Creek and really cant get to Vibes in August- but I totally forgot about Garden of Eden! That gives just enough time to $ave for that in Sept!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am not getting notificationbs, and forget that I even posted actually!

Garden of eden sounds like it might be fun, will have to look that one up!
AS for WaterFire, I worked in Prov when I was pg with my first, at Cafe Nuovo, which had prime WF views right on the river, and to be honest, it was an absolute nightmare, with the people, the gross smell of fuel, and being 7 months pregnant and waitressing, so I think I will skip that!

Anyone heard of the Strawberry festival or a reggae fest ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I used to live in Exeter near Steppingstone Ranch in Escoheag -- they had a reggae fest back in the day but I am not sure they still do it -- I would google it and try to find out.

The Strawberry Festival at Smith's Castle has come and gone

I would definitely look into the festivals in Newport (blues, jazz and folk) -- they are family friendly, beautiful and big!!! And always in August so you are just in time....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts