Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to top off day, I pick my kids up from school and both of them have a flu vaccine consent form in their bags. This is new as this was not required last year. It SAYS the form has to be returned to school regardless of if we participate or not... On one hand, I don't want to send it because if they don't have a consent form, they can't "accidentally" give it as easily.. however, if they are going to be persistent about having it, I guess I can be dramatic and write REFUSE on it in giant bold letters instead of the tiny box that says NO. Funny thing is, next to the "no" is "I don't want my child to receive the flu vaccine because ________" I almost want to fill it out with that I think but I'll be good.

So how would you respond? I refuse to go easy on this form and nicely check the no, add insurance info and hope they actually read it....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Definitely write "REFUSE" in the brightest colour(s) you have. You know they barely look at those forms except to see if they've got them all. As for the reason: if you want to play "nice" you could write something about preferring medical procedures to be performed in a medical setting by a professional of your choosing who has reviewed the patient's medical history.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I would first try to not turn it in.
If they insisted on having it, I would fill it out nicely but not include my insurance info. They won't need that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd put a huge black check mark and circle it in a bright red marker, then I'd school my children about what to do if the teachers try to vaccinate them anyway. Actually, I'll be keeping my son home on any days shots are given at our school, but I'm in Canada and our school couldn't care less about my son's lack of vaccines and they certainly don't give flu shots.

I like how your school wants your reasoning, like they have a stack of different pamphlets ready to send home to counter them. I personally would write "I am opposed" or "it is not effective" or perhaps something snarky, but you said you wanted to be good. :wink:

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I wrote a letter telling them that my child will be absent on flu shot day to avoid accidents and for the rest of the week due to nasal spray shedding. It was big drama (they don't like absences.) I told them public school was not a doctor's office or CVS. People can get them on every corner if they want them, they don't need to offer this at school!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wrote a letter telling them that my child will be absent on flu shot day to avoid accidents and for the rest of the week due to nasal spray shedding. It was big drama (they don't like absences.) I told them public school was not a doctor's office or CVS. People can get them on every corner if they want them, they don't need to offer this at school!
I would LOVE to do this... my issue is that my kids do not go to the assigned neighborhood school (thank you to the no child left behind act for this). I had to apply to get them into a "great" school so I have more rules than if they were going to the assigned one.. one of the things that can get your kicked out is more than 5 absences (ridiculous I know). Anyway, the local school is not an option unless we move. What I can do is bring them to school and after attendance, I can pull them out on the day of the vaccine.. this way, it counts as a day at school and they will miss it. Last year, they did it on a Friday so we had the weekend to avoid it. If it is on a Thurs, I have no prob keeping them home on Friday since it will only be counted as 1 day... what a pain!

You are right though.. it is not CVS and there is no reason to do this at school- especially when they are supposed to be worried about the immuno-compromised in the school!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Exactly.

I'll be doing this as well (keeping them home) when the school lines them up for the HPV, and the Tdap and Varicella boosters in Grade 7. I don't trust that a consent form saying "No" is sufficient. There's too many opportunities for mistakes.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I would LOVE to do this... my issue is that my kids do not go to the assigned neighborhood school (thank you to the no child left behind act for this). I had to apply to get them into a "great" school so I have more rules than if they were going to the assigned one.. one of the things that can get your kicked out is more than 5 absences (ridiculous I know). Anyway, the local school is not an option unless we move. What I can do is bring them to school and after attendance, I can pull them out on the day of the vaccine.. this way, it counts as a day at school and they will miss it. Last year, they did it on a Friday so we had the weekend to avoid it. If it is on a Thurs, I have no prob keeping them home on Friday since it will only be counted as 1 day... what a pain!

You are right though.. it is not CVS and there is no reason to do this at school- especially when they are supposed to be worried about the immuno-compromised in the school!!!!!!
They can't even pull the "it's for poor kids" card because poor kids have state medical insurance and can go to the dr and get them for free. I have no idea why they try to turn schools into a drug store. That stinks about the attendance thing. I took my kids to Mexico to the Mayan Ruins, etc for 5 days and they turned me into child welfare for attendance (which is actually just a scare thing, not actual child welfare.) They can unenroll if unexcused for more than 5 days in a row but I noticed they tend to do these vaccine clinics on Wednesday-Friday so they don't actually have to miss many days. I am pulling both of my kids in two weeks to homeschool, I am so sick of this BS. We are going to do the Oak Meadow curriculum at home. I realize that this is definitely not an option for everyone though. My oldest is 8th grade so it took me many years to get to this fed up point. LOL

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
So it's settled. You're homeschooling now. Welcome to the Dark Side, @DesireeH :lol Some parents have always homeschooled and practically taken that decision for granted. The rest of us had our Breaking Point.

We homeschoolers really need to set up a welcome room with milk and cookies for all of the Breaking-Point SB277 refugees . . .

Back on topic, if a day off isn't an option, you could borrow from the families that opt-out of those bull**** standardized tests. They send their kids to school wearing a lanyard with a reminder note that they are NOT to take the tests, and school staff should find an alternate educational activity for the child. You could do something similar to refuse the vaccine.

On the other hand, this whole thing really is set up to rat out the kids not getting the vaccine. They're the ones who stay behind in the classroom as living, breathing announcements of their own personal health information. :irked Yea. On second thought, keep your kids home. They can play hooky and call in with the flu. :wink

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back on topic, if a day off isn't an option, you could borrow from the families that opt-out of those bull**** standardized tests. They send their kids to school wearing a lanyard with a reminder note that they are NOT to take the tests, and school staff should find an alternate educational activity for the child. You could do something similar to refuse the vaccine.

On the other hand, this whole thing really is set up to rat out the kids not getting the vaccine. They're the ones who stay behind in the classroom as living, breathing announcements of their own personal health information. :irked Yea. On second thought, keep your kids home. They can play hooky and call in with the flu. :wink

Such a great idea.. I'm also opting out this year from the FSA and I had not yet heard of this idea! I have no shame in making them wear a sign saying something to the effect of "stay away from me"! But you are right, I am too paranoid and will pull them out of class before they "start" vaccines for the day.. which tends to run into lunchtime.

As a side note, I too am getting fed up with these tests and school policies. I just realized my state mandates 150 min/week of PE and my kid is NOT getting that by a long shot... heck, he hasn't had recess yet this year either but they have no problem hounding someone for an ADHD dx.... So, I am all up in the schools business right now. I've always said that if I can get them started with schooling and have the basics taught for me, I could take over from there. It is getting close.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the thing to question is the psychology in this. Everyday to work I see signs (flu shots here, safe for all). Children might not know it but just looking at the sign and returning to attention they'll remember that. As human we're easily trained if something happens over and over and over. Visually and through hearing.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I would hand in the form with "I do NOT consent for my child to have the flu vaccine" written across it.

Asking why is nervy and none of their business. I would say so, politely, or I would leave it blank.

I would also keep them home on vax day - and I would confirm that vax day happened (several years ago I kept my daughter out of school to make sure no errors happened - only for vax day to be rescheduled. Grrr.....).

It is always a good idea to brush up on "mature minor" rules in your location if you kids are 10 plus.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
A little late to the party but wanted to share if some other parent goes through this...

I wrote across the consent forms. I felt one word was best because I worried about sentences being altered e.g. "I do not consent" becomes "I do consent" (also the reason I switched from pen to black sharpie). At first I wrote "REFUSED" but then on later forms I decided to go with "DECLINED" as I felt that word better reflected that it was our choice. Also if you have a printer at home make a copy of the consent form after you've altered it.

Know that your child may be questioned by teachers or the nurse. I gave my children a few different things to say to them depending on how they felt in the moment but I told them if they felt threatened to start yelling "call my mum" and if they were touched physically to use their karate. :wink: My NT child was questioned by his teacher when the other children were getting their Hep B/ HPV vax and although he fully understood why we wouldn't vaccinate he felt intimidated and could only say the vaccine caused seizures in his brother.

For my child w/autism he wore an undershirt beneath his shirt that I had wrote "No Vaccines" on and my phone number (in case he wasn't able to express himself verbally) because they would have had to have him take off his shirt to give the vaccine. I've read that some parents in the UK would take the markers used for face painting and write on the child's arms "NO JABS".

Also, on the school registration forms that we filled out every year there was a section for medical conditions. I wrote in there that my children were not to be vaccinated under any circumstance.

Yes it might seem extreme to do all that but there have been cases here in Canada where children were vaccinated even though their parents did not consent. Documenting your opposition might not stop a zealous nurse but it will certainly provide evidence of your position in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little late to the party but wanted to share if some other parent goes through this...

I wrote across the consent forms. I felt one word was best because I worried about sentences being altered e.g. "I do not consent" becomes "I do consent" (also the reason I switched from pen to black sharpie). At first I wrote "REFUSED" but then on later forms I decided to go with "DECLINED" as I felt that word better reflected that it was our choice. Also if you have a printer at home make a copy of the consent form after you've altered it.
I like this.. I have not yet turned it in. We have an exemption on file for them at school (that was needed to enroll) so you would think they wouldn't require anything back since the exemption says it all... this just tells me my kid is a number and they will be herded through the line.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree strongly and would do the same. I would also write on the section asking why I'm refusing- "asked and answered. NO." It's not their business why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts