Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm worrying too much about this, but after all the work we've done to bf again I'm paranoid.

For the last few days ds (9 months) has been cutting down on nursing. He doesn't out and out refuse the breast, but comes off after only a few minutes - even if the room is quiet, etc. I'm offering every 3 hours during the day (his normal routine). He's gone from taking about 3 oz. in the lact-aid to sometimes only an ounce. I don't think my milk supply has gone up that dramatically so quickly...I think he's just not finishing.

Here's what he does: We sit down to nurse with his less-favored side (if I don't start with it *every* time he barely nurses from it). He'll nurse for 5 minutes or so, then pop off, sit up, and pull himself to stand on me. There's no getting him back on. When this first started he would take his favorite side better, but now it's the same...pop off, stand up, no going back on the breast to finish.

Should I go ahead and pull all solids? He eats "breakfast" and "dinner" after nursing each day. Any other suggestions or thoughts would be highly appreciated - I'm so afraid he's going to end up weaning himself gradually! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
First, normal, normal, normal. My October '05 baby is doing the EXACT same thing. I think they might have learned it in the same place.

Second, I think you should just wait it out. Offer, allow him to nurse for 35 seconds, just enough to let your milk down (grrrr) and then let him pop off. Eventually, he'll get some good nursing in. For us, this is night time nursings.

I sincerely doubt he's weaning himself. I've only ever heard of very scheduled babies refusing the breast at such a young age. I suspect he's just really aware of his body and the fun stuff it can do, and simply cannot be bothered with nursing.

It'll get better!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.