Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGh. I get so annoyed when people say that nursing a baby with teeth must be hard but this boy is killing me! I thought I had thrush because my nipples were dry and sort of sloughing skin, and itchy. Last night I realized I have these deep indentations on one side, and actual lacerations on the other, where his teeth have come in. This has happened to me before too, but it really, really hurts.

I've been trying hard to make sure the nipple is far back in his mouth, and have also been trying different nursing positions so he's not hitting the same spot each time. I've also been using Kerry's miracle salve and Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter, depending on if I am upstairs or downstairs.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do? I even tried not nursing him last night to give things a chance to heal but he would have none of it. I also though about nursing him just on the less painful side, but I get plugged ducts really easily, and I think the kids broke my pump when they were playing with it.

Annette

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DaryLLL. I looked at the thrush stuff a little while ago, but I don't have any symptoms other than the itchy flaky skin (and the itch is actually gone now) Maybe I should still treat it preemptively, though?

Thanks for the kellymom link. I had looked their for thrush, but not for scraping. Do you know that with all the LLL resources I have, I have not seen this really mentioned? Anyway, I'm thinking I need to pay attention to positioning as well as latch. It makes sense, because it does hurt less if I support the breast. I'll try the cool water trick as well.

Unfortunately, he's not really old enough for the interactive tips she gives. I am NOT going to take him to the dentist to have his teeth filed down, which is suggested in one of her links.

I saw the advice to nurse from the uninjured (or in my case, less injured!) side first, but I am afraid if I did that consistantly I will end up with plugged ducts.

Do I need a prescription for the nipple ointment?

Annette

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.