Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is lame to make tuna noodle casserole, if it's all made from scratch with good for you whole foods and I use a real vegetable(like not peas)?

I'm thinking about it, but I'm afraid my dh will compare me to his stepmother

· Premium Member
4,952 Posts
Why aren't peas a real vegetable?

· Registered
2,179 Posts
I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan, was vegan before pregnancy) so i don't eat tuna casserole anymore but when i was little my mom made it she always made it with tons of broccoli as the main veggie. i now make a vegan version which is pretty much completely different except that it has noodles and broccoli.

anyhow i think with lots of veggies it can be very healthy especially if you used whole wheat pasta. personally i hate whole wheat pasta so i would use regular pasta

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Why aren't peas a real vegetable?
I guess peas are a vegetable in the strictest sense of the word, but so are potatoes and corn. I just meant a veggie with more roughage and vitamin content. Peas are a little starchy, and besides, I don't like peas.

Yeah, I did it. It was okay, it was still a casserole, kwim? We do use whole wheat pasta, so I'm used to it. For this I used a high protein w.wheat blend pasta with legume flour. I used broccoli too. It's part of my never-ending quest to get enough protein and find ways to trick my child into eating veggies.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
I guess peas are a vegetable in the strictest sense of the word, but so are potatoes and corn. I just meant a veggie with more roughage and vitamin content. Peas are a little starchy, and besides, I don't like peas.
i always thought corn was a grain?

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
i always thought corn was a grain?
By Karen Collins, MS, RD, CDN

American Institute for

Cancer Research

Q: Is corn a vegetable or a grain?

A: Botanically and nutritionally speaking, corn is a grain. Corn is more concentrated in starch (a type of carbohydrate) and calories than true vegetables, like broccoli, cucumbers and green beans...

Good call!

but then I found this on howstuffworks.com-

The Encyclopedia Britannica sums it up like this:

Fruit - in its strict botanical sense, the fleshy or dry ripened ovary of a plant, enclosing the seed or seeds. Thus, apricots, bananas, and grapes, as well as bean pods, corn grains, tomatoes, cucumbers, and (in their shells) acorns and almonds, are all technically fruits.
This definition of fruit is very broad, and encompasses almost everything that contains seeds.
Vegetables, then, are everything that's left. This includes:

Root crops like potatoes, carrots and turnips
Bulbs like onions and garlic
Stems like asparagus
Leaves like lettuce and cabbage
Flowers like broccoli and cauliflower
In other words, things that do not contain seeds are vegetables, in the technical sense. Everything else is a fruit.

Who knew???
:

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Too funny... Obviously tomatoes are often discussed for their fruit vs. veggie properties, but I was also thinking about cucumbers the other day, which are definitely fruit BUT almost never considered such!

As for the OP, my mom always made "tuna casserole," and never from a box. I liked it, too, growing up, and occasionally crave it now. The bad things, though - my mom used absolutely no "good" ingredients (we were really poor!!) and at some point it was a staple meal that I got REALLY sick of!! But like I said, sometimes it sounds
!

My preference for eating tuna is in mac'n'cheese with corn. Of course, my boys don't like tuna. And my older DS won't eat corn if it's not on the cob!
Oh, well, at least mama eats something kinda halfway healthy!

· Premium Member
1,303 Posts
great. another food-i-now-gotta-have thread. dh is gonna love this one!

but i seriously love tuna casserole!! i make it with no redeeming qualities. i eat it with no remorse. i'm angry when i go to get the leftovers the next day and my oldest ds has beaten me to it!!!

but i really don't think i'll be making it any time soon. it's already 90 with august humidity. maybe i'll just roast some corn on the grill...
:

· Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have a simple cheese sauce recipe that I put on anything that is previously intolerated as a foodstuff. I use the white sauce base when I make Tuna Noodle Casserole. And I make it with peas.

· Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post
Sure, sure, be MOTW then abandon us then show up SICk to our party.
Sorry! We had to go to California for three weeks. My sister's stepmom was in a coma. All's fine now, but it was pretty tense for a while.

· Registered
2,049 Posts
The thought of eating tuna casserole after years of being force fed it in daycare makes me want to curl up and die somewhere.

Ew.....plus the thought of eating tuna anyways....ew.

Then there's the whole can't eat dairy or wheat or soy or basically anything........

DH likes casseroles made with Campbells' cream soups but for the last year the smell of those soups has weirded me out......

Liz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.