Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So after finally finding a fantastic OT & private clinic, we had dd properly assessed. To our huge relief, this OT actually saw what we saw. Dd has sensory modulation difficulties with both tactile and auditory systems, and these in turn affect her proprioception, vestibular and oculo-motor abilites, as well as her motor planning. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I thought I would feel a bit sad about getting a 'label' for her, but instead I feel this incredible sense of relief and gratitude. The OT so clearly gets our daughter, whose personality shines through the assessment documents. Finally someone sees what we see...that while our daughter often can cope, that's all she is doing, coping, not thriving, flourishing and enjoying life to the best of her abilities.  The assessment also noted dd's anxiety, which is closely intermingled with her SPD.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I feel so hopeful and positive--we have a plan! We will be starting a 2x/week program of OT, plus an intensive Therapeutic Listening program after Christmas. We will also be getting her assessed by one of the clinic's psychologists to work on her anxiety & behavioural issues and possibly having her join a social skills group. We have goals and we have a plan! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am also very grateful to my parents. My dad and stepmom have gotten this from the beginning and been behind us 100% including offering financial support for the treatments not covered by insurance. My mom has taken a bit longer to get on board but is now 100% supportive as well, and has been helping us by offering childcare and support and is now offering financial support as well. I am so blessed to have their support. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am also so grateful to MDC and this board in particular for teaching me about SPD, pointing me in the right direction and encouraging me to look harder for answers for dd.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My only regret is that we didn't identify this when dd was younger, as I think having this kind of support back when she was a toddler would have made things so much easier for her. I am sad to think of what my little girl has been suffering for all this time, and while I know we have done our best, I think we have also been hard on her, treating some of these differences as discipline issues.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway just wanted to share our news & thank all of you who have been helpful & supportive through this process. </p>

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
<p>Yeah! I'm glad that you found someone who gets your daughter and seems to click with you. A good relationship with your OT is crucial. Let's hope you see great results from the OT. I'm convinced it was the best investment we ever made for ds.</p>

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>thanks so much, Lynn, that's great to hear. And thanks for all your input & help, I have always really appreciated your point of view!</p>

·
Registered
927 Posts
<p>Therepudic listening was GREAT for my DD w/ SPD. We did it twice ( OT lent us the equipment) and it really helped with her auditory sensitivities.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Glad to hear you got a great OT and I hope you see big improvements!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts