Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My milk is changing now. My DS stopped asking to nurse a week ago (he half heartedly asked today but then lost interest before I could). He told me a while ago that it tasted different, but now he's lost interest. The twins seem to be unaffected and would certainly nurse every hour if I let them but now they too would rather have a glass of milk if offered then to nurse. I guess it was bound to happen but I thought I'd have a little longer. Anyone else noticed the big milk changeover yet? How are your LO's with nursing these days.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
my daughter is almost 29mo and self weaned since i became pregnant. previously she was only wanting to nurse a couple times a day tops but not long after i became pregnant she told me that my milk was "yucky" and soon afterward refused to nurse at all. at this point my milk is gone.

i'm proud that i nursed her as long as she needed and that it was a gentle weaning process but i'm still sad and miss that close bond with her. it also doesn't help that no matter how many babies i have there is always some bit of sadness that my previous baby is growing up, won't be the littlest and so on.

it's so bittersweet watching them grow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
still nursing okay
i have very mixed emotions about him possibly weaning at some point because of this pregnancy as i had always wanted him to self-wean, but hope i won't feel too guilty if he weans because of me being pregnant.

i am really proud we made it past the 2yr mark given that he was born before his sucking reflex was developed and took almost 3mths of exclusive pumping before he latched. i think it's what edged me towards self-weaning, those tough early days, but i do think it will feel a bit bittersweet when he is done.

i am 14wks on monday

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm 14 weeks today, and dd definitely seems to have noticed a difference. Frequently she barely latches on before she's done, and she's suddenly wanting sippy cups all the time. (Usually we use cups with straws, but I think she's craving more sucking time. She's also sucking on her fingers a bit.) Of course, I can't be sure how much of the drop in supply is due to hormones and how much is due to my limiting how long she's been nursing for the past several weeks. Nursing was making me incredibly nauseated, until it started hurting. Neither experience exactly encourages long leisurely nursing sessions.

She seems pretty okay with it, although she always has been quite the nursing addict, and it's breaking my heart a bit. She even still nurses for comfort with those momentary sessions. It's pretty funny, because she'll be all upset, latch on for one second, come off, and be happier.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TortelliniMama View Post
It's pretty funny, because she'll be all upset, latch on for one second, come off, and be happier.

you have magic boobies!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I weaned my 2 year old when I was about 6 weeks along. My milk supply was already so low he would just cry and switch sides over and over. Weaning has actually been beneficial for our relationship. He is happier and cuddlier and can sleep with me again with out driving me crazy. I always wanted to self wean and tandem nurse but it has just never worked out that way.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My 23 month old just weaned within the last couple of weeks. I'm 16 weeks and I have had absolutely NO engorgement so I guess there was really nothing left. I hadn't heard her gulping in a long time even though she nursed for longish periods of time. So yeah....it is over for us, too. I'm sad but glad at the same time as I really didn't want to tandem.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hugs, Ladies! I am not able to nurse while pg because of low progesterone, so I weaned my DD a year ago. I always wanted to tandem, but I will never get the change
Congrats on making it work, esp. to star!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son was 40 months old just about. The twins are 21 months old. They still get some milk, but it's not alot, it think they mostly suck for comfort now and it's ALOT of latching and unlatching. They do tell me there's milk inside, but I know there isn't much at all. I'm still trying to decide if I'm willing to triandum nurse again, I think it will be harder when one of the nurslings is a newborn. My son was weaned at 14 months and then unweaned last sept and has been nursing like crazy only to self wean now. There is alot to think about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Still nursing pretty strong here. He's doing a lot of switching sides, latching and unlatching, so I've had to ask him not to do that b/c it hurts. Still have milk but not sure how much.

Does it hurt more when the milk supply starts running low???

When we're nursing to sleep, it takes forever now. DS keeps starting and stopping and popping up to say "whatcha doing mommy?" "whatcha doing daddy?" And, he's still waking to nurse at night 1-2 times and marathon nursing starting sometime before it is light.

I think that when his 2 year molars finish coming in, I'll have to night wean for sleep's sake! DS is 27 months.

Good luck y'all.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
Hugs, Ladies! I am not able to nurse while pg because of low progesterone, so I weaned my DD a year ago. I always wanted to tandem, but I will never get the change
Congrats on making it work, esp. to star!

aw thanks -

slightly ot, but i thought the piece on preemies and mamas milk on the cbs evening news was well done - but it did hammer home the not surprising statistic that in the us 74% of full term babies leave the hospital on mama's milk but only 45% of preemies do (i don't know what the stats are in canada, but i'd say they're probably similar - i know a few nicu moms who gave up). so just think, you beat the stats that way!!!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
aw thanks -

slightly ot, but i thought the piece on preemies and mamas milk on the cbs evening news was well done - but it did hammer home the not surprising statistic that in the us 74% of full term babies leave the hospital on mama's milk but only 45% of preemies do (i don't know what the stats are in canada, but i'd say they're probably similar - i know a few nicu moms who gave up). so just think, you beat the stats that way!!!

Great job, STAR! I think it's awesome you are nursing a preemie. My son was born at 30 wks, respiratory and tone issues. He had zero strength to suck, even when he came home at 35 wks. We later found out that he had oromotor issues and we were in therapy with him for nearly 3 yrs for it, 5 yrs for all of his issues.

He didn't even eat solid foods until he was 2 1/2. I did pump for him and he had only mama milk for his first 6 months. It was VERY difficult and the LONE LC in our city was NOT supportive.

Sorry for the hijack...

Fyrebloom, I hope things work out for you!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Dd is down to about 3-4 times during the day (a big decrease for her) and 1-3 times at night. We are going to work on nightweaning in a month. I don't think my milk is completely gone, but it's definitely not much. I ask her if there's milk and sometimes she says no and sometimes yes.
: Not sure if I want to tandem nurse, still trying to decide...but I would like to make it to 2 years.

·
Registered
828 Posts
We recently nightweaned, and are all getting more sleep now because of it (thankfully). DD is 28 months, and is now rarely asking to nurse. This is a major change for us because before I got pregnant she was nursing probably 5-8 times per day, and then off and on for most of the night. I'm pretty sure my milk supply has dropped considerably, but she still says there's some in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.