Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appt for getting the Paraguard this Friday. I'm extremely nervous about it. I think I'm mainly bummed because no other form of BC really seems to fit us, and it *has* to be one where they mess with my lady parts. NFP got us DD (I had a freak cycle), hormonals are out bc I have depression and am bf'ing, so I really don't want to mess with an already fragile system. DP is poss. allergic/sensitive to condoms and spermicide. (I realize there are natural ones or ones w/o spermicide but he says he tried a ton of kinds and nothing worked, even non latex apparently.)

I almost always have pain when it comes to anyone else touching *there* even DP. I know from childbirth that a lot of pain is in your head, but I'd kind of like to know what's going to go down. My midwife didn't say I needed someone else to drive me home, but the insurance lady called it outpatient surgery. Which totally didn't help. And DP said he might not come because it's his day off and the appt is an hour away AND a morning appt...
: So I may have to bring baby and *hope* she doesn't wake up angry like she did at my 6 wk PP last week.

So... those of you who've been there, what did you do if anything to prepare? I assume I'm fortunate to be awake for the whole ordeal...? Did you drive yourself home? Should I do or bring anything? How soon after did you feel up to DTD?

I know I sound crazy but I'm scared of this... I was fine, even excited, about labor/birth bc I knew my body was made to make babies then get them out. My body wasn't made for someone to shove metal up in it...

good vibes gladly accepted.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Well aslong as everything goes as planned it feels about like when you get a Pap. I definitely wouldn't even relate it at ALL to surgery of any kind. Its no big deal at all.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I am also getting an IUD soon so I researched what they actually do. First they will use the speculum to open your vagina and get a good view of the cervix. They will use some sort of antiseptic on your cervix and vagina to make sure bacteria doesn't get in during the insertion. They will use some type of tool to hold your cervix still and possible straighten it. It looks like tiny tiny forceps. Then they will measure how long your uterus is. After everything is ready to go, they insert the actual IUD. All this takes about 10 minutes and the package inserts recommend taking ibuprofen 1 hour beforehand. Some docs will put a topical anesthetic on your cervix.

I am also nervous about the pain but now that I know the steps and know it is about 10 min, I can totally do it. Did you schedule your appointment when your cervix is more open like right after AF or during your fertile time with lots of EWCM?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news- DP realized how bothered I was, and is coming with.
That helps me feel alot better.
I am 7 wks pp and EBF so I don't know how my cervix is, to be quite honest. We've not spoken since right before delivery, when we had a nice long chat.
I guess I'll update y'all soon.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i'm scheduled for insertion on Tuesday, and I'm terrified. I really, really, really, really don't want to have this done, but I don't see any other options other than abstinence, which is not going to fly well with either myself or my DH. Like the PO, I have a lot of pain unless I'm "well primed". I tried having the gyn measure me for a diaphragm and I had to tell her to stop because it hurt so much. I keep hoping that even though DH and I haven't DTD in 3 weeks that somehow I'm pregnant, so that I won't have to go through with the procedure.

It's not the pain, but the creepy/icky factor of having a chunk of metal and plastic stuck up inside my uterus that's freaking me out so badly. Sorry I'm not more of a help...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It might be too late for this tip, but my OB/GYN had me take a few advil before I had my IUD inserted. It cramped in a "suck in your breath" kind of way and made me slightly dizzy but a few seconds later I was okay, just a little crampy. I drove myself home, but I took it easy. I didn't DTD again for a week or so. I spotted for 3 or 4 days.
Good luck! I hope you like it as much as I did! I had mine 6 years!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oh I wanted to mention, I also got mine at 6 weeks PP, and my cervix was a- ok. Try not to stress too much, you'll be thankful you went through with it in a few weeks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all who responded. I didn't die, yay!

"I tried having the gyn measure me for a diaphragm and I had to tell her to stop because it hurt so much."
Me too! I thought there was something wrong with me. Actually tho, the midwife stopped because I was obviously in pain and I think he didn't feel comfortable with it. You'll do great.

I am already glad we got and iud. DD slept the whole time. It was painful but I kept breathing and reminded myself that I gave birth, this is nothing. Honestly, the speculum was the worst part! I was super dizzy afterwards, so I didn't drive home (we live almost an hour away from the midwives). Felt like I got my period (it's not) in that I had a little spotting and cramping. I did read the tip to take some pain med before hand, so I took two Aleve, which I feel helped. When they cleaned me, I think he may have used a little topical stuff too, I was trying so hard to relax and breathe I honestly don't remember what he said!

We haven't DTD yet, the midwife said we might want to wait a bit just to let my body adjust and whatnot... hopefully later this week. Merry Christmas to me.
Anyway, just thought I'd check back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.